|Private, Limited liability company|
|Founder||Michael Dell |
645 Fifth Avenue, 21st Floor, New York City and
|Products||Leveraged buyout, Growth capital , investments, real-estate|
|Total assets||not public, in excess of $ 12 billion|
Number of employees
MSD Capital is the investment vehicle owned and controlled by Michael Dell and his family. The company is one of the main investors in the announced Leveraged buyout of Dell Inc. besides Michael Dell in private, Silver Lake Partners, Microsoft and several banks
MSD Capital was formed in 1998 to manage the wealth of Michael Dell and his family.
MSD Capital has a dedicated investment team and according to their own statement Mr Dell is not involved in the day-to-day operations of the firm. The company makes no statement of his involvement on major decisions. The main investment partners are Glenn R. Fuhrman, co-managing partner and co-founder as well as John C. Phelan, also co-managing partner and co-founder
Besides those 2 co-founders and co-managing partners another 10 partners are listed
Relation with Dell Computers
As a private (investment) firm the company doesn't publish detailed records on their activities or strategies. According to information on MSD Capital's website they have a very broad mandate how to invest the money. They are currently (as mentioned on their website on 5 February 2013) specialized in:
Dell Inc would likely be their largest investment to date if the leveraged buy out succeeds.
In 2016, MSD's involvement in the small-sized television over-the-air broadcast properties market was detailed. The report came as the U.S. Federal Communications Commission moved toward a Dutch auction for the re-acquisition and re-sale of the broadcasting frequencies to more lucrative wireless phone uses. OTA Broadcasting LLC, a unit of MSD, was formed in 2011. Amongst "more than a dozen" acquisitions since then, the "most valuable ... is from a former Korean station in New York. [Dell]’s representatives bought the station in March 2012 for $6.6 million. The FCC’s opening bid for that license is $377 million." Also in the report the Wall Street Journal set the maximum proceeds from all OTA properties at $4 billion.
- MSDCapital Website FAQs
- MSDCapital Website Contact Us
- Financial Times website: Michael Dell orchestrates $24bn buyout deal, 5 February 2013
- MSD Website on Glen R. Fuhrman, 5 February 2013
- MSDCapital website on John C. Phelan, visited: 5 February, 2013
- MSD Capital website: Listing of partners, visited: 5 February 2013
- Miles Weiss (January 31, 2013). "Dell Keeps LBO Financing in the Family With MSD Capital". Bloomberg Businessweek.
- Gryta, Thomas, and Kate Linebaugh, "Computer Mogul Michael Dell Stands to Reap Billions From FCC Auction", Wall Street Journal, January 23, 2016. Retrieved 2016-01-13.