A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||communications, marketing, public relations|
|Guillaume Herbette, CEO|
Number of employees
MSLGROUP is a public relations (PR) network of companies. Specialists in strategic communications and engagement, the company is part of the French multinational Publicis Groupe. It evolved as a merger of Publicis Consultants and Manning Selvage & Lee (thus, the "MSL" in the name).
MSL offers the following services: public relations, financial communications, experiential marketing, live event management, healthcare communications, public affairs, reputation management and social media marketing.
In 2012, public relations analyst firm The Holmes Report ranked MSLGROUP as the fourth largest PR agency in the world, by revenue. MSLGROUP has over 110 offices in 37 countries, and employs more than 3,000 people (as of December 2016).
In 1980, MS&L was acquired by the Benton & Bowles, Inc. ad agency, who ended up merging with the Leo Burnett ad agency before the entire group was bought by France's Publicis Groupe, to form the world's fourth largest communications company.
In October 2010, MSLGROUP acquired 20:20, an Indian public relations firm specializing in technology and social media. In November, it acquired Eastwei Relations, now integrated into MSL China. In December, Publicis Groupe announced a majority stake in Brazilian PR agency Andreoli MS&L to align under MSLGROUP.
In 2011, MSLGROUP made four acquisitions: Taiwan-based Interactive Communications Ltd (ICL), Genedigi Group, technology PR agency Schwartz Communications, and Ciszewski, Poland's largest independent public relations agency. Schwartz Communications was renamed Schwartz MSL.
In August 2013, Brazilian digital and social media marketing agency Espalhe joined MSLGROUP when Publicis Groupe acquired a majority stake in it.
In January 2014, Publicis Groupe acquired 100% stake in Washington D.C. based Qorvis Communications to become a part of MSLGROUP. In June, Publicis Consultants MARC joined MSLGROUP, the agency operates under the name Publicis Consultants MSLGROUP, as part of Publicis Groupe Sofia – the Bulgarian unit of Publicis Groupe. In July, Publicis Groupe acquired UK based sustainability firm Salterbaxter, the agency operates as Salterbaxter MSLGROUP. In September, Romanian PR agency, The Practice joined MSLGROUP. The agency now operates under the name MSLGROUP The Practice. In October, LiveCOM Slovenia joined MSLGROUP to operate under the name LiveCOM MSLGROUP, as part of Publicis Groupe Slovenia. In November, Capital MSL and Communications Networking Consulting (CNC) two communications consultancies within the MSLGROUP network merged. The new entity retained the CNC name and began operations on 1 January 2015. Also in 2014, Schwartz MSL was completely absorbed into MSLGroup.
In February 2015, Publicis Groupe acquired South Africa based communications agency, Epic Communications which initially began to operate as Epic MSLGROUP. The agency has since dropped “Epic” from its name and now trades simply as “MSL” in South Africa.
In January 2016, MSLGROUP expanded its presence to Sri Lanka by re-branding Publicis Groupe's Sri Lankan PR agency Arc PR. In March, the company acquired Vietnam based Venus Communications to operate under the MSLGROUP brand. In March, Publicis Groupe announced an equity partnership with the communications arm of Nigeria-based The Troyka Group, including a total of 6 agencies: Insight Communications, The Thinkshop, All Seasons Media, Media Perspectives, The Quadrant Company, and Hotsauce. In June, Philippines based communications agency Arc started operating under the MSLGROUP brand through a strategic partnership with Publicis One. In November, MSLGROUP acquired Canadian PR firm North Strategic and its online video marketplace and content hub Notch Video In December, the agency established its presence in Thailand through the rebranding of Arc PR under the MSLGROUP brand. MSL entered the Australian market in July 2017 by acquiring New South Wales based The Herd Agency, rebranding it as Herd MSL. In November 2017, the agency opened a new office in Prague by integrating Publicis' PR operations in the Czech Republic under the MSL brand.
In 2016, MSLGROUP tied for fifth in the Holmes Report 250 Global Ranking of PR Firms, by revenue.
- "The Holmes Report Global Top 250 PR Agency Ranking 2016". Holmes Report. 5 September 2011. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- "Top 10 | Global Rankings 2013". Holmes Report. 22 July 2013. Archived from the original on 7 August 2013. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- MSL's Agency Network
- "Manning Selvage & Lee (MS&L) - Company Profile, Information, Business Description, History, Background Information on Manning Selvage & Lee (MS&L)". referenceforbusiness.com. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- "Publicis to buy 20:20 MEDIA, 2020 Social". The Hindu Business Line. 2 October 2010. Retrieved 10 February 2012.
- "MSLGroup Merges Eastwei And MSLChina". Holmes Report. 22 November 2011. Retrieved 10 February 2012.
- "Publicis Groupe Takes Majority Stake in Brazil's Andreoli MS&L".
- "Agency Report:MSLGROUP". Holmes Report. 20 July 2011. Retrieved 10 February 2012.
- "Publicis Groupe S.A. Acquires PR Agency Schwartz Communications". Reuters. 15 September 2011. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- "News From the Advertising Industry". New York Times. 4 December 2011. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- Bruell, Alexandra (15 September 2011). "Publicis' MSL Group Acquires Schwartz Communications". AdAge. Retrieved 6 November 2019.
- "Publicis Groupe SA Acquires King Harvests and Luminous". Reuters. 8 March 2012. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- "Germany's CNC Joins MSLGroup After Publicis Groupe Acquisition". Holmes Report. 11 July 2012. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- Publicis Groupe Acquires Espalhe -- PR and Digital Marketing Agency in Brazil Wall Street Journal 29 August 2013 Retrieved 11 October 2013
-  WashingtonPost 20 January 2014 Retrieved 8 May 2014
- "Publicis Consultants | MARC joins MSLGROUP in Bulgaria". Archived from the original on 25 December 2016.
- "Publicis Groupe acquires UK based sustainability firm Salterbaxter".
- "Romanian PR Firm The Practice becomes part of MSLGROUP".
- "LiveCOM Slovenia joins MSLGROUP". Archived from the original on 25 December 2016.
- "Capital MSL mergers with sister agency CNC".
- "David Close retires after 22 years at MSLGROUP, Schwartz". prweek.com. 12 January 2016. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- "Publicis Groupe acquires South-Africa based Epic".
- "MSLGROUP expands its presence to Sri Lanka by re-branding Arc PR".
- "MSLGROUP acquired Vietnam based Venus Communications".
- "Publicis Groupe Partners with the Troyka Group in Africa".
- "Arc's PR discipline to operate as MSLGROUP".
- "MSLGroup acquires North Strategic".
- "MSLGroup rebrands Arc PR in Thailand".
- "Publicis launches its public relations agency MSL Herd in Australia". The Drum.
- "MSL Establishes Czech Presence With New Prague Office". The Holmes Report.
- Green, Chris (17 March 2016). "PR firm accused of helping Saudi Arabia 'whitewash' its human rights record". The Independent. Retrieved 18 May 2016.
- "Supplemental Statement Pursuant to the Foreign Agents Registration Act of 1938" (PDF). fara.gov. Foreign Agents Registration Act. 5 April 2015. p. 12. Retrieved 18 May 2016.