Bing Videos, showing a preview
Type of site
|Launched||June 3, 2010|
Bing Videos (previously MSN Video and Live Search Video) is a video search service and part of Microsoft's Bing search engine. The service enables users to search and view videos across various websites. Bing Videos was officially released on September 26, 2007 as Live Search Video, and rebranded as Bing Videos on June 3, 2009. The feature has been removed from the "Bing at a glance" feature list as of April 6, 2010.
The Bing Videos home page allow users to browse for TV shows, music videos, the most-watched video content on the Web, and recent news and sports videos.
In addition, while searching for videos, Bing Videos features the following:
- Smart Preview that enables the user to preview a video by mousing over its thumbnail. It allows the user to instantly watch a short preview of the original video
- Filtering that filters results by video duration
- Sorting that sorts results by either relevance or date
- View Selection that switches between the grid view and list view
- Related People that suggests famous people who are related to the query
- Bing Videos is also integrated into other Bing services, including Bing News.
The previous incarnation of MSN Video was launched in 2004 as an internet video streaming service created and run by Microsoft, now known as Bing Videos. It featured various content, including music videos, JibJab animated shorts, IFILM picks, viral videos, original content, TV shows such as Arrested Development, and news shorts. It also hosted the semi-finalists for Film Your Issue. Reed Smith, editor in chief of MSN Video and Entertainment, accepted the 2007 Marketer of the Year Award from the Direct Marketing Association on behalf of Microsoft.
MSN Video was known as a user-generated content service in 2007 and 2008. MSN Soapbox was initially an invitation-only beta service under the family of MSN Video products, designed to be a major contributor to the MSN portal. The MSN Soapbox service was discontinued in August 2009. MSN Video was also the name of a former internet television service in the United Kingdom, launched in March 2010.
- Bing at a glance
- DMA Names Microsoft-MSN 2007 Marketer of the Year. The-dma.org. Retrieved on 2013-07-21.
- Travis, Hannibal (2008). "Opting Out of the Internet in the United States and the European Union: Copyright, Safe Harbors, and International Law". Notre Dame Law Review, vol. 84, p. 337 (President and Trustees of Notre Dame University in South Bend, Indiana). Retrieved June 9, 2010.
- [dead link]
- MSN Video takes on BBC iPlayer with ad-supported online TV offering