|Industry||Mining, Energy, Pelletizing|
|Mr. Narendrakumar Baldota, CMD |
Mr. Rahulkumar Baldota, JMD
Mr. Shrenikkumar Baldota, JMD
Iron ore Pellets
Number of employees
MSPL Limited is a flagship company of Baldota Group of Companies, a leading iron ore mining company with 57 years in exploration and mining. The group also possess the 230 MW installed capacity of green energy in the country.
MSPL was founded by Mr. Abheraj H. Baldota in 1961. Prior to incorporating MSPL, Mr. Abheraj Baldota was a trader in non-ferrous metals. He was the President of the Bombay Metal Exchange in 1960.
Presently business and operations are headed by his son Mr. Narendrakumar A. Baldota, and his two sons, Mr. Rahulkumar N. Baldota and Mr. Shrenikkumar N. Baldota, all of whom are on the Board.
MSPL is an iron ore mining, processing and exporting company over four decades old. According to the Federation of Indian Mineral Industries, MSPL was the first private company in India to receive a license for export of high grade Iron Ore (having a Fe content of 64% or more).
MSPL is the flagship company of the Baldota Group of Companies, which are privately owned principally by the Baldota family.
MSPL is ranked No. 1 in the wind energy sector with combined installed capacity for the group being 191.6 MW as on June 2007. According to the Directory of Indian Wind Power 2007, published by Consolidated Energy Consultants Limited 
MSPL had the largest installed wind power generation capacity in India, as on 31 March 2007.
During 2006-2007, MSPL added another 30 MWs and plans to double their capacity to 400 MW by 2010. The objective behind the investment in wind energy is to contribute towards combatting the climate change crisis.
MSPL has wind farms at Satara and Dhule in Maharashtra, Chitradurga, Harpanahalli and Kundur (near Harihar) in Karnataka and Surajbari in Gujarat. As of 31 March 2007, MSPL’s total investment in the wind energy sector has touched INR 6061.41 Million (whereas the overall investment for the Baldota Group is 9242.25 Million).
Events and awards
MSPL has been recognized with various national awards:
- For 2006-07, MSPL was awarded the CFBP-Jamnalal Bajaj Uchit Vyavahar Puraskar in the Large Manufacturer category – recognizing its commitment to fair business practices, equitable development, community service and exemplary corporate citizenship.
- MSPL was awarded the First Prize for Independent Power Producer under Wind Programme (2002–07) by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
- MSPL received CAPEXIL's Top Export Award, 2006-2007. MSPL was also granted CAPEXIL special export awards for outstanding contributions to Indian Iron Ore exports in each of the last six years.
- In 2005, the Group received the KREDL award for the highest investment and production in wind power.
- For planting over 1.6 Million trees, MSPL has been awarded Indira Priyadarshni Vriuksha Mitra Award in 2004.
Combatting climate change through CDM
MSPL has established an operational and management structure for running the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) projects.
The CDM-1, a 125 MW Wind Power Project of Baldota Group in Karnataka, where MSPL has a lion's share of 78.90 MW, was registered as a CDM Project by UNFCCC, on 29 September 2006.
When registered, it was the largest wind power project in the world registered by UNFCCC for CDM activity.
This registration by UNFCCC would enable the Company to generate a maximum of 2.5 Million Certified Emission Reductions (CERs) under the CDM. This CDM project activity would replace conventional energy equivalent to 356.83 Million units and thereby reduce emission of greenhouse gases (GHG) to the tune of 25,32,400 tonnes of carbon dioxide over a ten-year project crediting period.
MSPL has four other CDM projects at various stages of registration with UNFCCC.
- 20 MW at Dhule, Maharashtra.
- 6.6 MW at Harihar, Karnataka.
- 8.35 MW in Karnataka
- 30 MW in Surajbari, Gujarat
The project activity would contribute to "Sustainable Development of India" in the following ways:
- Utilising the wind energy potential in the region of the state of Karnataka for generation of 125 MW gross power.
- As the project activity has been undertaken in the barren-land it does not require displacement of any local population. Thus the project will not cause any adverse social impacts on local population. Rather, it will help in ameliorating their quality of life.
- Conservation of non renewable natural resources like coal, gas, oil. Making coal available for other important applications.
- Reducing GHG Emissions to the atmosphere (CO2)
- Contributing to a small increase in the local employment in the area of skilled jobs for operation and maintenance of wind electric generators and its accessories.
- MSPL :: Group Company :: The Baldota Group Archived 2010-07-24 at the Wayback Machine.
- Consolidated Energy Consultants Limited: "Directory Indian Wind Power 2007", Section 14, Page 1, Consolidated Energy Consultants Limited, 2007
- "Jamnalal Bajaj Uchit Vyavhar Puraskar". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 21 February 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-21.
- "Independent Power Producer" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 April 2009. Retrieved 2007-11-22.
- "Indira Priyadarshini Vrikshamitra Award 2004". Value Notes.[permanent dead link]
- MSPL Limited