Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Group
|Traded as||TYO: 8725|
|Successor||MS&AD Insurance Group|
|Founded||October 21, 1918 (as Taishō Marine and Fire Insurance Co.)
October 2001 (merger of Mitsui Marine & Fire Insurance Co. and The Sumitomo Marine & Fire Insurance)
|Yoshiaki Shin, Chairman
Toshiaki Egashira, President
|Revenue||JP¥ 2,137,603 million (FY 2007)|
|JP¥ 40,027 million (FY 2007)|
Number of employees
Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Group Holdings, Inc. (三井住友海上グループホールディングス株式会社 Mitsui Sumitomo Kaijō Gurūpu Hōrudingusu Kabushiki-Kaisha) is a Japanese insurance holding company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.
MSIG was formed in 2001 from the merger of Mitsui Marine & Fire Insurance Co. (itself descended from the Taishō Marine and Fire Insurance Co. founded in 1918) and The Sumitomo Marine & Fire Insurance. In 2010 April Aioi Insurance Co., Ltd., Nissay Dowa General Insurance Co., Ltd., merged into MSIG, making the group's name changed in to MS&AD Insurance Group Holdings, Inc.. According to this business integration, MS&AD has become the largest property insurance company in Japan, with market share of 33% in 2013.
Companies not based in Japan
- Amlin, plc
- MSIG Insurance Europe AG
- MS Frontier Reinsurance Ltd.
- Mitsui Sumitomo Reinsurance Ltd.
- Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance London Management Ltd.
- MSI GuaranteedWeather, LLC
- Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance – Oceania
- InterRisk Research Institute & Consulting, Inc.
- MITSUI SUMITOMO INSURANCE Care Network Co., Ltd.
- American Appraisal Japan Co., Ltd.