MS MR at Austin City Limits in 2013
|Origin||New York City, United States|
|Members||Lizzy Plapinger (MS)
Max Hershenow (MR)
MS MR (pronounced Miz Mister) are a New York-based American duo, consisting of vocalist Lizzy Plapinger and producer Max Hershenow. The duo are signed to IAMSOUND, Kitsuné and Columbia Records. Plapinger is also known for her work as co-founder of the New York City/London-based Independent record label Neon Gold Records. Their music has been characterized as indie pop, alternative rock, dream pop and dark wave.
After both members graduated from Vassar College in 2010, MS MR released a four-song digital demo EP, Ghost City USA (2011), followed by two 2012 singles, "Hurricane" and "Fantasy". The music video for their debut single, "Hurricane", was released on April 26, 2012, with the single released on iTunes on July 10, 2012. It earned positive reviews for its "vintage" sound. The single charted at number 38 in Germany.
The music video for their second single, "Fantasy", was released on February 4, 2013. The song was later released on iTunes on March 8, 2013 and became a single of the week.
Their debut album, Secondhand Rapture, was released on May 10, 2013, and included all four songs from the prior EP.
On July 17, 2015 they released their second album, How Does It Feel.
MS MR's sound has been compared to Florence and the Machine, Lana Del Rey and Kavinsky. Despite growing up in London, Plapinger has no trace of an English accent; her parents are American and she attended an international school.
- Secondhand Rapture (2013)
- How Does It Feel (2015)
- "MS MR". IAMSOUND Records. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "Columbia Records". Columbia Records. Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- "MS MR | Idol Magazine". idolmag.co.uk. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- Gilfillan, Anna (June 5, 2012). "The Ripe | New Music – MS MR – Hurricane". The Ripe. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "Ms Mr". Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- St. Asaph, Katherine (October 5, 2012). "MS MR: Candy Bar Creep Show | Album Reviews". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- Reese, Nathan (May 22, 2012). "This Is Our Jam: MS MR, "Hurricane"". refinery29.com. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20140509042405/http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/04/fashion/lizzy-plapinger-of-ms-mr-the-melody-maker.html. Archived from the original on May 9, 2014. Retrieved July 2, 2014. Missing or empty
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MS MR.|