|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Operator:||Holland America Line|
|Port of registry:||Netherlands, Rotterdam|
|Ordered:||29 November 1989|
|Builder:||Fincantieri, Monfalcone, Italy|
|Launched:||12 January 1992|
|Completed:||26 October 1993|
|Class and type:||S class cruise ship|
|Length:||220 m (721.78 ft)|
|Beam:||30.937 m (101.50 ft)|
|Height:||40 m (131.23 ft)|
|Draught:||7.6 m (24.93 ft)|
|Installed power:||(All engines built under license by Fincantieri/Grandi Motori Trieste)Two Sulzer 12ZAV40S, Three Sulzer 8ZAL40 diesels|
|Speed:||22 knots (41 km/h)|
She was ordered along with her sisters MS Statendam and MS Ryndam in 1989 from Fincantieri Shipyards. During design of her class there was concern over her ability to meet the new SOLAS 90 International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea stability requirements which went into effect in 2010. Her sister, MS Statendam, proved to meet these requirements beyond expectations and the additional ballast tanks fitted to the class to provide added stability usually travel void for weight reduction and hence, fuel savings. Her hull design is based largely on that of MS Costa Classica with changes to make it more buoyant as the superstructure of Maasdam and her sisters is much heavier than that of Costa Classica. Maasdam and her sisters have articulated "Hinze" flap rudders, basically a rudder with a small portion of its aft that can be steered in addition to the main rudder, for exceptional maneuverability. When launched her class proved to be one of the world's most technically advanced and optimised cruise ships in the world during sea trials.
Concept and construction
Maasdam features a teak promenade deck, two-tiered dining room, and atrium with glass sculpture. The ship also features an expansive art collection. In April 2006 Maasdam emerged from drydock in Freeport, Bahamas after a multimillion-dollar (US) refit. Additions included several new dining venues, a culinary arts center and all new cabin amenities, .
The vessel serves the Caribbean in the winter based in Ft Lauderdale and during the summer sails from Boston, Massachusetts, to Europe, Atlantic Canada and New England. In summer 2016, she spent the season in Alaska. In December 2016, she went south to New Zealand for the summer cruise season downunder.
- "Cruise Ship Staatendam (and sister ships)" (PDF). June 1993. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 July 2011. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- "Maasdam Info". 6 March 2010. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "M/S Maasdam Info (In Swedish)". 6 March 2010. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "ABB Marine References Cruise & Ferry" (PDF). ABB. 1 December 2006. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- "MS Maasdam". 2 August 2009. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- "ms Maasdam Overview". Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Holland America Line's ms Maasdam Receives Signature of Excellence Enhancements". 26 April 2006. Archived from the original on 16 May 2012. Retrieved 19 March 2010.
- McAvinue, Shawn (27 December 2016). "Cruise ship season gets twice as nice". Otago Daily Times Online News.