|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Operator:||Holland America Line|
|Port of registry:||Netherlands, Rotterdam|
|Ordered:||29 November 1989|
|Builder:||Fincantieri, Monfalcone, Italy|
|Completed:||January 1, 1993|
|Class & type:||S class cruise ship|
|Length:||220 m (721.78 ft)|
|Beam:||30.937 m (101.50 ft)|
|Height:||40 m (131.23 ft)|
|Draught:||7.6 m (24.93 ft)|
|Installed power:||(All engines built under license by Fincantieri/Grandi Motori Trieste)Two Sulzer 12ZAV40S, Three Sulzer 8ZAL40 diesels|
|Speed:||22 knots (41 km/h)|
She was ordered along with her sisters MS Statendam and MS Ryndam in 1989 from Fincantieri Shipyards. During design of her class there was concern over her ability to meet the strict new SOLAS 90 International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea stability requirements which go into effect in 2010. Her sister, MS Statendam proved to meet these requirements beyond expectations and the additional ballast tanks fitted to the class to provide added stability usually travel void for weight reduction and hence, fuel savings. Her hull design is based largely on that of MS Costa Classica with changes to make it more buoyant as the superstructure of Maasdam and her sisters is much heavier than that of Costa Classica. Maasdam and her sisters have articulated "Hinze" flap rudders, basically a rudder with a small portion of its aft that can be steered in addition to the main rudder, for exceptional maneuverability. When launched her class proved to be one of the world's most technically advanced and optimised cruise ships in the world during sea trials.
Concept & Construction
Maasdam features a teak promenade deck, two-tiered dining room, and atrium with glass sculpture. The ship also features an expansive art collection. In April 2006 Maasdam emerged from drydock in Freeport, Bahamas after a multimillion-dollar (US) refit. Additions included several new dining venues, a culinary arts center and all new cabin amenities, including flatscreen televisions and DVD players.
Signature of Excellence Program
The Maasdam currently has received SOEP1 which included Pinnacle Grill specialty restaurant, the Neptune Lounge (for suite guests), the Culinary Arts Center with demonstration kitchen, expanded children’s and teens’ facilities, enhanced stateroom amenities, and improved dining and enrichment offerings and recently received SOEP2 in April 2011 which included Spa Staterooms, Mix which is a bar type lounge & Showroom at Sea (nightclub/lounge).
- "Cruise Ship Staatendam (and sister ships)" (PDF). June 1993. Retrieved 2010-03-17.
- "Maasdam Info". 2010-03-06. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- "M/S Maasdam Info (In Swedish)". 2010-03-06. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- "ABB Marine References Cruise & Ferry" (PDF). ABB. 2006-12-01. Retrieved 2010-03-17.
- "MS Maasdam". Retrieved 2010-03-17.
- "ms Maasdam Overview". Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Holland America Line's ms Maasdam Receives Signature of Excellence Enhancements". 2006-04-26. Retrieved 2010-03-19.
- Media related to Maasdam at Wikimedia Commons
- MS MAASDAM - Five Generations of Marine Tradition
- Holland America Line Maasdam official site
- short videos of Maasdam