MS Nordnorge (1997)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Builder:||Kværner Kleven, Ulsteinvik, Norway|
|Launched:||6 July 1996|
|In service:||19 March 1997|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||Polarlys class cruiseferry|
|Length:||123.30 m (404.53 ft)|
|Beam:||19.50 m (63.98 ft)|
|Draught:||4.90 m (16.08 ft)|
|Speed:||18 kn (33.34 km/h)|
|Crew:||57 crew|
The MS Nordnorge (literally: Northern Norway) is a Hurtigruten (Norwegian Coastal Express) ship. It was completed in 1997 by Kværner Kleven in Ulsteinvik, Norway, as a sister ship to MS Polarlys and MS Nordkapp. The Nordnorge has a gross tonnage of 11,386, crew capacity of 57, and can carry up to 691 passengers.
There have been four Hurtigruten ships with the name of Nordnorge, which is Norwegian for "Northern Norway" - the common name of the three northern Norwegian counties.
During 2009 Nordnorge did not operate on the coast of Norway. Very little information about its employment has been released by the owners but it appears that the ship was hired out at the end of 2008 as a hotel ship in the Mediterranean, possibly in Venice.
On January 30, 2007 the Nordnorge came to the aid of the MS Nordkapp after the Nordkapp ran aground in the Antarctic. All 294 passengers were safely evacuated from the Nordkapp and were taken to Ushuaia, Argentina.
On November 23, 2007 the Nordnorge was involved in the rescue of all passengers and crew from the MS Explorer after the Explorer struck an iceberg in the Antarctic. All 100 passengers and 54 crew on the Explorer were safely rescued; the Explorer later sank.
Live television broadcast
The recording of the broadcast is available to watch here. During the voyage the stream was mostly live except for brief moments when the ship was out of satellite coverage. During such occasions, a pre-recorded backup from an earlier journey at the same location was shown until live coverage was restored.  All material recorded from the bow camera is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution - Share Alike licence and is fully available to be downloaded via Bittorrent.
- Micke Asklander. "MS Nordnorge (1997)". Fakta om Fartyg (in Swedish). Retrieved 2008-02-07.
- Miramar Ship Index. Retrieved 5 January 2014. .
- "Nordlys newspaper, Tromsø". Archived from the original on 2010-05-03. Retrieved 2010-02-24.
- The Age
- Eye witness account of the rescue
- NRK Beta 1
- NRK Beta 2
- Web site of Hurtigruten ASA.
- Hurtigruten ASA information about MS Nordnorge: Hurtigruten.com (en); hurtigruten.us
- Images from webcams aboard MS Nordnorge[permanent dead link]
- vesseltrack.com position of MS Nordnorge
- Hurtigruten.com map of positions of ships in Norwegian coastal service.