MS Prinsendam (1988)
|Port of registry:|
|Builder:||Wärtsilä Marine Perno Shipyard, Turku, Finland|
|Christened:||8 January 1989|
|Acquired:||26 November 1988|
|Nickname(s):||2002– Elegant Explorer|
|General characteristics (as built)|
|Class and type:||Cruise ship|
|Length:||674.2 ft (205.5 m)|
|Beam:||91.8 ft (28.0 m)|
|Draught:||23.6 ft (7.2 m)|
|Decks:||9 passenger decks|
|General characteristics (2002-present)|
MS Prinsendam (formerly Seabourn Sun and Royal Viking Sun) is a cruise ship for Holland America Line and is nicknamed the Elegant Explorer. She was launched in 1988 as Royal Viking Sun for the Royal Viking Line, and was renamed "Seabourn Sun" when Seabourn Cruise Line acquired the ship in 1999. Shortly after, in 2002, Seabourn wished to concentrate on smaller vessels. So, in 2002, they transferred the ship to Holland America Line, where she was renamed the Prinsendam.
She was launched in 1988 as Royal Viking Sun for the Royal Viking Line.
Cunard Line career
In 1994 Cunard purchased Royal Viking Sun and the Royal Viking brand when Royal Viking Line ceased operations. Cunard continued to operate her under the same name but did repaint her funnel in Cunard colours. 
In 1999 Cunard and Seabourn were merged by parent company Carnival Corporation. It was decided to move Royal Viking Sun to Seabourn, and after an extensive refit she was renamed as the Seabourn Sun. Her last cruise for Seabourn was a circumnavigation of South America in 2002.
Holland America Line career
After another extensive refit in 2002, Seabourn Sun was renamed Prinsendam for Holland America Line - another division of the Carnival Corporation.
Prinsendam is one of two Holland America Line ships that have undertaken cruises to Antarctica and due to her low height above the waterline is one of only a handful of cruise ships that can transit the Kiel Canal.
On 22 March 2012 Prinsendam, was en route to Portimao, Portugal, when she received a distress call from the Portuguese fishing boat Dario, which was sinking with eight people aboard. When the ship arrived, the Dario's crew was entering a life raft. The Portuguese Coast Guard directed Prinsendam to pick up the fishermen and stand by for a helicopter to take the eight men to shore.
- (in Swedish) Fakta om Fartyg: M/S Royal Viking Sun (1989), retrieved 7 December 2007.
- "Seabourn Sun To HAL". Findarticles.com. 2 June 2009. Archived from the original on 22 May 2008. Retrieved 14 September 2009.
- "Royal Viking Sun on Unofficial Cunard Archives". Chriscunard.com. 23 September 2009. Archived from the original on 6 April 2010. Retrieved 14 September 2009.
- Liu, Paul C. (2007). "A Chronology of Freaque Wave Encounters" (PDF). Geofizika. 24 (1): 57–70. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Prinsendam Engages in Successful Rescue Operation | Holland America Blog". Archived from the original on 31 March 2016.
- "Holland America Cruise Ship Leaving the Fleet in 2019". cruisefever.net. Retrieved 2 July 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MS Prinsendam.|