Amera in the Kiel Canal, 2019
|Port of registry:|
|Christened:||8 January 1989|
|Acquired:||26 November 1988|
|In service:||1988 – present|
|Nickname(s):||2002 – 2019: Elegant Explorer|
|General characteristics (as built)|
|Class and type:||Cruise ship|
|Length:||674.2 ft (205.5 m)|
|Beam:||91.8 ft (28.0 m)|
|Draught:||23.6 ft (7.2 m)|
|Decks:||9 passenger decks|
|General characteristics (2002-2019)|
|General characteristics (as Amera)|
|Class and type:||Lloyd's Register Cruise ship|
|Length:||672.57 ft (205.00 m)|
|Beam:||95.14 ft (29.00 m)|
|Draught:||23.78 ft (7.25 m)|
|Decks:||9 passenger decks|
|Installed power:||Wärtsilä-Sulzer, 4 x 7.179 PS|
MS Amera (formerly Seabourn Sun, Royal Viking Sun, and Prinsendam) is a cruise ship operated by Phoenix Reisen. She was launched in 1988 as Royal Viking Sun for Royal Viking Line, and began operating for Cunard Line under the same name in 1994. She was renamed Seabourn Sun when Seabourn Cruise Line acquired the ship in 1999. In 2002, Seabourn transferred the ship to Holland America Line, which was renamed as Prinsendam. In 2018, Prinsendam was sold to Phoenix Reisen, debuting in 2019.
1988–1999: Royal Viking Sun
Royal Viking Line
She was launched in 1988 as Royal Viking Sun for Royal Viking Line. She was the largest ship in the fleet at the time she entered service.
In 1994, Cunard Line purchased Royal Viking Sun and the Royal Viking brand when Royal Viking Line ceased operations. Cunard continued to operate her under the same name and initially retained the vessel's original livery. Later, Cunard repainted her funnel in their colours and retained the Royal Viking logo.
1999–2002: Seabourn Sun
In 1999, Carnival Corporation merged Cunard and Seabourn and moved Royal Viking Sun to Seabourn. After an extensive refit, she was renamed Seabourn Sun. Her last cruise for Seabourn was a circumnavigation of South America in 2002.
In 2002, Seabourn Sun was transferred to sister brand Holland America Line after Seabourn chose to focus on its fleet's smaller vessels. and underwent a refit before beginning operations.
On 22 March 2012, Prinsendam was en route to Portimao when she received a distress call from the Portuguese fishing boat Dario, which was sinking with eight people aboard. When the ship arrived, Dario's crew was entering a life raft. The Portuguese Coast Guard directed Prinsendam to pick up the fishermen and stand by for a helicopter to take the eight men to shore.
In July 2018, Holland America announced that Prinsendam was sold to Phoenix Reisen. However, she was chartered back to Holland America to continue operating her scheduled voyages until 1 July 2019.
On 2 July 2019, Prinsendam began her six-week renovation at Blohm+Voss in Hamburg, and left on 12 August 2019 for Bremerhaven. She was christened in Bremerhaven on 16 August 2019 by Petra Kaiser, a veteran Phoenix Reisen employee, before sailing her maiden voyage to Dover, Antwerp, Amsterdam, and the Norwegian fjords, where she cruised for her inaugural season. She operated Mediterranean cruises beginning in October 2019.
- (in Swedish) Fakta om Fartyg: M/S Royal Viking Sun (1989), retrieved 7 December 2007.
- "Royal Viking Sun on Unofficial Cunard Archives". Chriscunard.com. 11 July 2019.
- Kalosh, Anne (2 July 2018). "Holland America's Prinsendam has been sold to Phoenix Reisen". Seatrade Cruise News.
- "Archives: Royal Viking Sun". Cruise Industry News. 16 July 2011.
- "Seabourn Sun To HAL". Findarticles.com. 2 June 2009. Archived from the original on 22 May 2008. Retrieved 14 September 2009.
- Liu, Paul C. (2007). "A Chronology of Freaque Wave Encounters" (PDF). Geofizika. 24 (1): 57–70. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Prinsendam Engages in Successful Rescue Operation | Holland America Blog". Archived from the original on 31 March 2016.
- "Busy Year Ahead for Holland America Line's MS Prinsendam". Offshore Energy. 7 August 2014.
- "Prinsendam Transits the Kiel Canal". Holland America Line. 23 June 2009.
- "Holland America Cruise Ship Leaving the Fleet in 2019". cruisefever.net. Retrieved 2 July 2018.
- "Extensive refurbishment - MS Prinsendam becomes MS Amera". Rheinhold & Mahla. 23 August 2019.
- Smith, Alex (18 October 2019). "Columbus Cruise Center Bremerhaven breaks cruise passenger record". Cruise and Ferry.
- "MS Amera Christening in Bremerhaven". BSM Cruise Services.
- "Phoenix Reisen christen Amera in Bremerhaven". Cruise Cotterill. 19 August 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to IMO 8700280.|