Rotterdam in the Netherlands, July 2006
|Owner:||Holland America Tours|
|Operator:||Holland America Line|
|Port of registry:||Rotterdam, Netherlands|
|Builder:||Fincantieri, in Trieste, Italy|
|Launched:||21 December 1996|
|Maiden voyage:||11 November 1997|
|In service:||11 November 1997|
|Class and type:||Rotterdam-class cruise ship|
|Length:||780 ft (238 m)|
|Beam:||105.8 ft (32 m)|
|Speed:||25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph)|
MS Rotterdam is a Rotterdam-class cruise ship, the sixth Holland America Line vessel to bear the name, and is one of the two Atlantic flagships of the fleet. Built in Italy in 1997, Rotterdam features fine art and antiques, an internet center, and a spa and fitness center. She is named for SS Rotterdam of 1959, and also named after the city of Rotterdam, Netherlands. MS Rotterdam and her sister ship MS Amsterdam are loosely based on the original ship. Amsterdam and Rotterdam are co-flagships of Holland America Line (HAL).
Rotterdam carries an art collection onboard worth over US$2 million.
During the summer of 2011, Rotterdam conducted Holland America Line's first standalone transatlantic crossing since 1971, making a single trip both eastbound and westbound. In the Fall of 2014, Rotterdam circumnavigated South Africa for 88 days. From Nov. 12 to Dec. 20, 2014, the last segment of the cruise went from Cape Town, South Africa to Southampton, England. The ports of call were: Cape Town, Lüderitz and Walvis Bay in Namibia, Luanda in Angola, two islands in Cape Verde, three islands in the Canary Islands, Agadir, Casablanca and Tangier in Morocco, then on to Cádiz and Vigo in Spain, and Lisbon, Portugal.
Rotterdam sails around Europe during the summer and South America in the winter. Commencing in 2012, she was based year-round in Rotterdam, Netherlands. Holland America said it wanted to reconnect with its roots there.
Incidents and accidents
- Rotterdam, Vessel Status - 9122552 (inglise keeles)
- "MS Rotterdam". Holland America Line. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- "MS Rotterdam". World Wide Vacations. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- Sloan, Gene (18 November 2010). "After three decades, Holland America returns to classic trans-Atlantic crossings". USA Today. Retrieved 21 November 2010.
- Rotterdam (2015-01-14). "West Africa on the Rotterdam Nov. 12 to Dec. 20 - Holland America Review by willrey". Cruise Critic. Retrieved 2016-02-13.
- Sloan, Gene (18 May 2011). "Holland America to base Rotterdam year-round in Europe". USA Today. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- MS Rotterdam in hurricane
- Media related to MS Rotterdam at Wikimedia Commons
- Holland America Line (HAL) official site
- "Rotterdam" – review by Douglas Ward in The Daily Telegraph, London.
- "Turkish Discovery On The ROTTERDAM: Part One", "Part Two", "Part Three" and "Part Four" – review by Kalle Id in Maritime Matters of a cruise on the Rotterdam.
- Holland America Rotterdam Cruise Reviews – cruise reviews posted on Cruise Critic.
- Rotterdam Deck Plans