||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (February 2010)|
Silver Explorer in Dublin
|Builder:||Rauma-Repola, Rauma, Finland|
|Launched:||3 February 1989|
|Beam:||15.6 m (51 ft 2 in)|
|Draught:||4.38 m (14 ft 4 in)|
|Depth:||6.9 m (22 ft 8 in)|
|Ice class:||Swedish/Finnish Ice Class 1A (DNV)|
|Installed power:||Wärtsilä diesel engines (2 × 2250 kW)|
|Speed:||14 knots (26 km/h; 16 mph)|
Silver Explorer is an expedition ship currently operated by ultra-luxury cruise line, Silversea Cruises. Her small size makes her perfect for exploring regions including: Norway, South Pacific and Antarctica.
The ship was built by the yards of Rauma-Repola, of Rauma, Finland, and launched on 3 February 1989. She operated under several names before being acquired by Society Expeditions, who operated her under the names World Adventurer and World Discoverer.
She was purchased by Silversea Cruises in autumn 2007, and underwent a multi-million pound refit at Fincantieri, Trieste. In June 2008, at a ceremony in Monte Carlo attended by Prince Albert II of Monaco, she was re-christened Prince Albert II. She then sailed to London to embark passengers for an inaugural cruise.
Prince Albert II was renamed Silver Explorer in late April 2011 in order to align with the fleet's other vessels which all have the word Silver in their name.
M/V Silver Explorer operates polar adventure cruises lasting between 10 and 21 days. In the summer she cruises in the Arctic Circle with calls at the Svalbard archipelago, Iceland and Greenland. During the northern hemisphere autumn and winter, she cruises off South America and Antarctica.
M/V Silver Explorer offers guests a relaxing onboard atmosphere across several decks and her facilities include a library, lecture theatre, internet centre, observation lounge, one main dining room, gym, sauna and a state of the art massage room. The ship also has 8 Zodiac landing craft for transferring passengers between ship and shore.
M/V Silver Explorer is a 1A ice-rated vessel. She carries up to 132 passengers in 66 cabins.
- "2008 News". Scottsdale Luxury Cruises. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- "Silversea's first expedition ship departs London on her maiden voyage". Travel Lists. 13 June 2008. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- "New expedition ship Prince Albert II begins first voyage". Monsters and Critics. 9 July 2008. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- Garrison, Linda (20 April 2011). "What's in a Name? Silversea Prince Albert II Gets a New Name". About.com Guide. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- "More than half of Silversea Cruises guests are newcomers". Travel Blackboard. 7 August 2008. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- "Allin Interactive Television Selected by Silversea Cruises for Prince Albert II". Reuters Press Release. 7 March 2008. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Silver Explorer.|