MS Star approaching Helsinki, April 2007.
|Port of registry:||Tallinn, Estonia|
|Ordered:||1 August 2005|
|Builder:||Aker Finnyards, Helsinki, Finland|
|Laid down:||30 May 2006|
|Launched:||23 November 2006|
|Christened:||23 November 2006|
|Acquired:||10 March 2007|
|In service:||12 April 2007|
|Type:||Fast ropax ferry|
|Displacement:||3,500 t DWT|
|Length:||186.00 m (610 ft 3 in)|
|Beam:||27.70 m (90 ft 11 in)|
|Draught:||6.50 m (21 ft 4 in)|
|Ice class:||1 A|
|Speed:||27 kn (50.0 km/h; 31.1 mph)|
MS Star is a fast Ro-Pax ferry operated by the Estonian ferry company Tallink. She was built at Aker Finnyards Hietalahti shipyard, Helsinki, Finland and entered service on Tallink's Helsinki–Tallinn service on 12 April 2007.
Star was the first fast ferry capable of around-the-year service used on the Helsinki–Tallinn route. The ship's design is heavily based on that of MS SeaFrance Rodin, built by Aker Finnyards for SeaFrance in 2001. Originally it was reported the Star would have no passenger beds, but later specifications included beds for 520 passengers, meaning that the ship can offer short overnight cruises to Tallinn as well as a transportation service during the day. The green external livery of the ship is according to Tallink promotion material "meant to reflect the environmentally friendly aspects of the ship's design".
Star has three daily departures from both Helsinki and Tallinn, with one crossing taking two hours. In Tallink marketing, Star has often been referred to as "Tallink Star". The ship's planned original delivery date was 5 April 2007, but this was postponed until 12 April 2007, owing to problems with the main engines.
- Tallink press release: Tallink's New Vessel Star Started on Tallinn–Helsinki Route, retrieved 8. 10. 2007
- (Finnish) FCBS Forum: Tallink tilasi nopeakulkuisen lautan Aker Finnyardsilta, retrieved 8. 10. 2007
- Tallink press release: Tallink's New Vessel Named Superstar, retrieved 8. 10. 2007
- Turun Sanomat: M/S Star delayed by a week, retrieved on 29. 3. 2007
Media related to Star (ship, 2007) at Wikimedia Commons
- Tallink official website for Star
- (Swedish) Fakta om Fartyg: M/S Star (2007)
- Star at marinetraffic.com
|This ferry article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|