MS Pascal Lota
Superstar arriving in Tallinn, May 2008
|Operator:||Medinvest SpA (Corsica Ferries)|
|Port of registry:|
|Ordered:||5 August 2005|
|Builder:||Fincantieri Ancona, Italy|
|Laid down:||18 January 2007|
|Launched:||5 October 2007|
|Christened:||5 October 2007 by Kaia Kanepi|
|Acquired:||8 April 2008|
|In service:||21 April 2008|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||Fast cruiseferry|
|Length:||175.10 m (574 ft 6 in)|
|Beam:||27.60 m (90 ft 7 in)|
|Draught:||7.00 m (23 ft)|
|Ice class:||1 A|
|Speed:||27.5 knots (50.9 km/h; 31.6 mph)|
MS Pascal Lota (ex Superstar) is a fast ferry owned by the Italy-based MedInvest Spa and chartered to Estonian operator Tallink and operated on Tallink's Helsinki–Tallinn service. She was built in 2008 at the Fincantieri shipyard in Ancona, Italy.
Concept and construction
The keel of the vessel was laid on January 18, 2007. On October 5, 2007, the Superstar was christened by the Estonian tennis player Kaia Kanepi. The ship was delivered on 8 April 2008 and left Ancona for the Baltic Sea a day later.
Superstar entered service on Tallink's Helsinki–Tallinn route on 21 April 2008. On 30 April 2008 the ship suffered a hydraulics problem while leaving Tallinn, and one Tallinn–Helsinki roundtrip had to be cancelled. On 27 February 2009, while en route from Tallinn to Helsinki with 400 passengers on board, the ship's main engines stopped due to problems with the cooling systems at 8:45 am. The ship was adrift for nearly two hours, with emergency generators providing electricity, until full power could be restored at 10:30 am. Superstar arrived in Helsinki at 11:30, two hours behind schedule.
The green external livery of the ship is according to Tallink promotion material "meant to reflect the environmentally friendly aspects of the ship's design".
The onboard facilities include a three-deck high showlounge, four restaurants, cafeteria, two bars, a casino, a business lounge and various shops.
- (in Finnish) FCBS Forum: Tallink tilasi nopeakulkuisen lautan myös Fincantieriltä, retrieved 7 October 2007
- Asklander, Micke. "M/S Superstar (2008)". Fakta om Fartyg (in Swedish). Retrieved 2008-04-07.
- "Tallink Superstar jatkaa liikennöintiä tänä iltana". MTV3 / Kotimaa (in Finnish). MTV3. 2008-04-30. Retrieved 2008-05-01.
- "Konevika pysäytti Tallinkin Superstarin Suomenlahdelle". HS.fi (in Finnish). Helsingin Sanomat. 2009-02-27. Retrieved 2009-02-27.
- Filippov, Madis (2009-02-28). "Ulatuslik automaatikarike hoidis Superstari tunde Helsingi reidil" (in Estonian). Postimees. Retrieved 2009-02-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Superstar (ship, 2008).|