MS Marella Celebration
1984 - 2018: Holland America Line2018–present: TUI UK
|Port of registry:|
|Builder:||Chantiers de l'Atlantique|
|Launched:||21 May 1983|
|Christened:||by Mrs Beatrijs van De Wallbake|
|In service:||8 April 1984 – present|
|Length:||214.66 m (704.27 ft)|
|Beam:||27.26 m (89.44 ft)|
|Draught:||7.50 m (24.61 ft)|
|Speed:||18 knots (33 km/h; 21 mph) (other sources claim 21 knots (39 km/h; 24 mph))|
|Capacity:||1,254 passengers (1,350 maximum)|
MS Marella Celebration is a cruise ship owned by TUI UK, and operated by their United Kingdom-based Marella Cruises. She was built in 1984 by the Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard in St. Nazaire, France for Holland America Line as MS Noordam.
It was announced on 9 October 2017, that Thomson Cruises would be renamed Marella Cruises. TUI Group also announced that Thomson Celebration would be renamed Marella Celebration at the end of October 2017.
The Marella Celebration was built by Chantiers de l'Atlantique in 1984 for Holland America Line as MS Noordam at a cost of $160million, and the third Holland America Line vessel to bear the name. Her sister ship, the Thomson Spirit, was originally the Holland America ship MS Nieuw Amsterdam (1982). In 2005, a replacement, the fourth Noordam, was ordered from Fincantieri shipyards in Italy. After its last sailing with Holland America Line, the ship was taken out of service, chartered to Thomson Cruises and rechristened as the Thomson Celebration. She was originally furnished with a $1million art collection, some of which, including a 17th-century Oriental screen, can still be found on board.
- Fakta om Fartyg: MS Noordam (1984) (in Swedish), retrieved 8 December 2007.
- Faergelejet – Noordam (in Danish), retrieved 20 May 2010.
- Thomson Cruises – Vital statistics for Thomson Celebration, retrieved 20 May 2010.
- Ward, Douglas (1995). Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising & Cruise Ships. Oxford: Berlitz. ISBN 2-8315-1327-8.
- fleet online, GL-Reg-No : 142168 - IMO-No : 8027298
- Ward, Douglas (2006). Complete Guide to Cruising & Cruise Ships. Singapore: Berlitz. pp. 615–616. ISBN 981-246-739-4.
- 'Life Onboard' brochure - published by Thomson Cruises - pg 10
- 'Multi-million pound investment sees Thomson Cruises go platinum' - [[Travel Weekly - accessed 4 April 2012]