MS Veendam in Juneau, Alaska, United States
|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Operator:||Holland America Line|
|Port of registry:||Netherlands|
|Route:||Canada/New England and Bermuda. South America in winter months|
|Launched:||24 June 1995|
|Status:||in active service|
|Class and type:||Statendam-class cruise ship|
|Length:||719 ft (219 m)|
|Beam:||101 ft (31 m)|
|Installed power:||2 × 12-cylinder 8640 kW, 3 × 8-cylinder 5760 kW diesel generators|
|Speed:||20.9 knots (38.7 km/h; 24.1 mph)|
MS Veendam is one of Holland America Line's cruise ships and is named for the capital of Northern Netherlands's peat colonies. Features on the vessel include the two-tiered Rotterdam Dining Room, suites with private verandas, multiple lounges, and a wide teak deck.
Signature of Excellence Program
During April 2009, Veendam underwent a refit in Freeport. During the extensive refit, two decks of balcony cabins were added to the rear of the ship, and the rear pool area was restyled with 4 hot tubs set onto a raised platform. Due to the change in weight, a new duck-tail stern was fitted to the ship to provide stability. The refit also included the introduction of some new Lanai cabins on the Promenade deck. The cabins have mirrored glass doors which open onto Promenade deck.
On January 20, 2015, Veendam began a seemingly normal 18-day cruise in the Hawaiian Islands. Five days later, on January 25, 2015, 5:21 PM Hawaii–Aleutian Time, Veendam was called by the United States Coast Guard to rescue Pilot Louis Morton who had ditched his plane after he experienced a mechanical failure approximately 225 nautical miles off the coast of Maui. Coordinating with the U.S. Coast Guard, Veendam launched Lifeboat 2 in a successful rescue operation, much to the excitement of her passengers.
Today Veendam sails around South America during the winter based out of Buenos Aires, Argentina; Valparaiso, Chile & Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and during the summer is based in New York City, New York sailing to Bermuda as well as Atlantic Canada & New England.
Veendam currently sails out of Boston Harbor alternating with her twin, Maasdam.
- "Cruises on ms Veendam, a Holland America Line cruise ship". Hollandamerica.com. Retrieved 2016-02-18.
- "Veendam Refit". Travelserver.net. Retrieved 2009-05-11.
- "HAL Blog - Extra Deck". Hollandamericablog.com. Retrieved 2009-05-11.
- "HAL Blog - Lanai Staterooms". Hollandamericablog.com. Retrieved 2009-05-11.
- "Veendam Rescues Pilot Who Ditched His Plane in the Pacific Ocean". Holland America. 26 January 2015.
- "Cruises to Alaska, Europe, the Caribbean, Mexico and the world on Holland America, one of the best cruise lines". Hollandamerica.com. Retrieved 2016-02-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Veendam.|