MS Volendam pictured in Juneau, Alaska
|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Operator:||Holland America Line|
|Port of registry:||Netherlands|
|Launched:||18 September 1998|
|Christened:||12 November 1999|
|Class and type:||Rotterdam class (R class) cruise ship|
|Length:||237.0 m (777.6 ft)|
|Beam:||32.3 m (106 ft)|
|Draft:||8.1 m (27 ft)|
|Speed:||23 knots (43 km/h; 26 mph)|
MS Volendam is a Rotterdam class (R class) cruise ship belonging to Holland America Line. There are ten decks, with passenger cabins spread across six of them. The theme aboard Volendam is flowers and the décor throughout the ship emphasizes floral patterns. She sails out of Australia, Asia and conducts cruises of the Inside Passage traversing British Columbia and Alaska.
Design and description
Volendam is a Rotterdam class (R class) cruise ship operated by Holland America Line as a subsidiary company of Carnival Cruise Lines. She has three sister ships in the fleet, Zaandam, Amsterdam and Rotterdam. She was the second of these ships to be launched (in 1999), the Rotterdam being the lead ship of the class. Volendam is 238 m (781 ft), a 32.3 m (106 ft) beam, and a 8.1 m (27 ft) draft. She has ten decks, and contains cabins for passengers (called staterooms) on six decks.
The ship's theme is flowers, and she features floral designs throughout. The atrium contains a sculpture spanning three decks which was created by Luciano Vistosi. Volendam was christened by former professional tennis player Chris Evert on 12 November 1999, who became the ship's godmother.
Ports of call
She first entered the Australian market in 2009. Volendam cancelled a visit to Batemans Bay during a trip circumnavigating Australia in 2010, only giving 48 hours notice due to "operational issues" which was interpreted by local media as a failure by the town's council to meet the requirements set out by Holland America regarding the town's wharf some twelve months prior to the expected arrival of the ship. During 2011 she was chartered to visit match relevant destinations during the 2011 Rugby World Cup, which was hosted in New Zealand.
In 2016, Volendam sails out of Australia/New Zealand and South Pacific, and during the Northern Hemisphere summer sails out of Vancouver BC, Canada, conducting cruises of the Inside Passage to Alaska along with fellow Holland America vessels Zaandam and Nieuw Amsterdam. She hosted an Inside Passage cruise in September 2012 to celebrate a hundred years of The Vancouver Sun. In 2013 when Volendam returned to Australian waters, she visited Kangaroo Island for the first time, after a new landing pontoon was installed on the island to allow for it to become a cruise ship destination. After she left Australia for Asia, she visited a variety of Asian countries including Japan, China, South Korea and Vietnam.
On 9 March 2016 she witnessed a Total Solar Eclipse in the Makassar Straight while sailing through Indonesia as part of an extended tour of Asia, hosting a number of astronomy groups and eclipse followers. The successful observation was under the captaincy of James Russell-Dunford, who retired immediately after at the next major port of call in Singapore.
In popular culture
- "Advanced Masterdata for the Vessel Volendam". VesselTracker. 2012. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Carnival Australia Submission to the Independent Review of Enhanced Cruise Ship Access to Garden Island (the Review)" (PDF). Carnival Australia. Australian Government, Department of Defence. 31 October 2011. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "MS Volendam Deck Plan" (PDF). The Vancouver Sun. Retrieved 13 May 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "MS Volendam refitting - Drydock" (PDF). HMS Service. 8 June 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 May 2014. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "Tennis Star Chris Evert to Dedicate Holland America's Newest Ship". South Florida Business Journal. 5 November 1999. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "Holland America names Joe Palermo director, ship refurbishments". MarineLog. 27 April 2012. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- Foy, Sally (19 March 2010). "Cruise market in jeopardy". Batesman Bay Post. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "Adventure World charter Volendam for Rugby World Cup 2011". eTravel Blackbird. 3 May 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- Saunders, Aaron (22 April 2012). "Getting up close, personal with Alaska". The Province. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "The Vancouver Sun Anniversary Cruise". The Vancouver Sun. Archived from the original on 29 April 2012. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "12,500 to arrive on cruises". The Islander. 26 April 2012. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "Holland America Line's ms Volendam to Sail a Series of Far East Itineraries in Early 2013". PR Newswire. 8 December 2011. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Volendam (ship, 1999).|