|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Operator:||Holland America Line|
|Port of registry:||Netherlands|
|Class and type:||Rotterdam class (R class) cruise ship|
|Length:||237 m (777.56 ft)|
|Beam:||32.3 m (105.97 ft)|
|Speed:||23 knots (43 km/h; 26 mph)|
MS Zaandam is a cruise ship owned and operated by Holland America Line, named for the city of Zaandam, Netherlands near Amsterdam. She was built by Italy’s Fincantieri in Venice, and delivered in 2000. Zaandam is part of the Rotterdam class (R class) and a sister ship to MS Volendam, MS Rotterdam, and MS Amsterdam.
Zaandam has a musical theme and is decorated with artifacts and memorabilia from different musical genres. Items such as a Baroque-style Dutch pipe organ and guitars signed by the Rolling Stones, Carlos Santana and Queen can be seen.
Several earlier vessels also bear the name Zaandam: A single-funnel steam ship known as SS Zaandam (1882–1897) and MV Zaandam (1939–1942). The latter was torpedoed by the German submarine U-174 and sank.
Zaandam currently sails out of Alaska during the summer and during the winter sails Mexico and Hawaii. In December and January, the Zaandam cruises the Antarctic and South America.[full citation needed]
- "Zaandam (4746)". Port State Information Exchange. United States Coast Guard. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "Zaandam-Fast Facts" (PDF). Holland America. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-08-11. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "Zaandam". van der Leek, 2005. Retrieved 2009-12-03.
- "Zaandam (IMO: 9156527)". vesseltracker.com. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "Onboard Our Ships > Our Ships > ms Zaandam". Holland America Line. 2010. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- "Zaandam Ship Details". Cruiseabout. Archived from the original on 2009-08-11. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- Holland American Lines
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MS Zaandam.|