|Developer(s)||London-based tech company|
|Type||mobile and computer parental control monitoring|
|License||Paid & Trial|
mSpy was launched as a product for mobile monitoring in 2010 by a London-based tech company.
In 2012, the application allowed parents to monitor not only smartphones but also computers - Windows and Mac.
By 2014, the business grew nearly 400%, and the app's user numbers exceeded the 1 million mark.
In 2016, mLite, a light version of mSpy, became available from Google Play.
In 2015 and 2018, mSpy was the victim of data breaches which released user data.
It was noted that since mSpy runs inconspicuously, there is risk of the software being used illegally. mSpy was called "terrifying" by The Next Web and was featured in NPR coverage of spyware used against victims of stalking and other domestic violence.
In May 2015, Brian Krebs claimed that mSpy was hacked, leaking personal data for hundreds of thousands of users of devices with mSpy installed. mSpy claimed that there was no data leak, but that instead, it was the victim of blackmailers.
- Rossman, Jim (May 3, 2014). phone-activity.ece "There are ways of keeping tabs on your kids’ phone activity". Dallasnews.com. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- Shaw, Keith (May 22, 2014). "How far are you willing to go to spy on your employees' smartphones? " Networkworld.com. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- "mSpy Got PTPA Winner's Seal of Approval | Cell Phone Spy Software Reviews". www.top10spysoftware.com. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- Ong, Josh (November 28, 2013). "mSpy: A terrifying app for spying on another smartphone or tablet user." Thenextweb.com. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
- "Another mSpy leak exposed millions of sensitive user records". SearchSecurity. Retrieved 2021-06-17.
- Josh Ong (2013-11-28). "mSpy: A Terrifying App for Spying on Another Smartphone User". Thenextweb.com. Retrieved 2015-11-08.
- "Smartphones Are Used To Stalk, Control Domestic Abuse Victims : All Tech Considered". NPR. 2014-09-15. Retrieved 2015-11-08.
- "Mobile Spyware Maker mSpy Hacked, Customer Data Leaked — Krebs on Security". Krebsonsecurity.com. 2015-05-14. Retrieved 2015-11-08.
- "Child spy firm hit by blackmailers". BBC. 2015-05-20. Retrieved 2015-11-08.
- "For 2nd Time in 3 Years, Mobile Spyware Maker mSpy Leaks Millions of Sensitive Records — Krebs on Security". Krebsonsecurity.com. 2018-09-04. Retrieved 2018-09-04.