|Owned by||Viacom International Media Networks|
|Slogan||MTV: All Eyes On ...|
|Sky Deutschland (Germany)||50 (HD)|
|Astra 1M (Europe, Middle East & Africa)||11973V 27500 2/3 (SD)|
|Kabel Deutschland (Germany)||Channel 224 (HD)|
|Telekom Entertain (Germany)||Channel 99 (HD)|
MTV Germany, is a 24-hour German-speaking entertainment channel operated by MTV Networks Europe. The channel was launched as MTV Networks Europe began to localize its brand throughout Europe in 1997. MTV Germany (previously MTV Central) was launched on March 7, 1997. The channel was set up to counteract strong competition from former rival VIVA.
- From its inception MTV Germany was available free-to-air throughout Europe. Though the channel mainly served German-speaking territories such as Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg.
- In late 2010, MTV Networks Germany announced that MTV will no longer be made available free-to-air from January 1, 2011. The channel is only on pay TV services such as Sky Deutschland, Kabel Deutschland, Unitymedia, Kabel BW, Alice-TV, Deutsche Telekom and NetCologne.
- On September 2, 2014 MTV HD left the Sky Deutschland pay-TV satellite platform, and became the 21st channel to join the HD+ free-to-view fee-based platform for German high definition channels broadcasting from the Astra 19.2°E satellite position.
- On 24th November 2017 a free-to-air standard definition feed was added to Astra 19.2°E with German & English audio options.
- Germany was served by VIVA a 24-hour German music channel, in 1997 as part of MTV Networks Europe's regionalization strategy MTV launched a German-speaking channel to target existing competition within the German-speaking markets. MTV Germany launched with specialized German-speaking versions of hit MTV Europe shows which included the Euro Top 20, MTV Select, MTV News, Non-Stop Hits, US Top 20 Hitlist UK, Hitlist Germany, Fashion Zone, MTV Urban and The Lick.
- In 1999, MTV Germany became available free-to-air throughout Europe on Astra satellite. In 2001, MTV Networks Germany launched MTV2 Pop a 24-hour pop music channel (later replaced by Nickelodeon). In 2005, MTV Networks Europe purchased one of its biggest competitors VIVA
- In 2002, MTV Germany began to air programing from MTV US, most of this programming was either subtitled or dubbed. From 2002 onwards similar to other MTV channels in Europe. MTV Germany began to drop some of its localized programming in favour of MTV US shows. These shows included Jackass, Date My Mom and Dismissed.
- In early 2006, MTV began to further regionalize its German-speaking feed to include a separate version for Austria and Switzerland. Late in 2009, MTV Networks Germany helped to localize these channels even further with the development of MTV Austria and MTV Switzerland.
- From 2008, MTV Germany was also streamed on P2P TV network TVU Player, but taken off air in March 2009. As of 2009, MTV Germany uses the same on-air identity as other MTV channels in Europe. The channel also features fewer music videos and airs more American MTV shows than German-speaking programming. Most of this programming is subtitled in German. The headquarters for MTV Networks Germany is Berlin where its channels are based. MTV Germany remains one of the only remaining MTV transmitted by analogue satellite in Europe, and among the few transmitted on free-to-air digital services throughout the continent, along with MTV Austria, MTV Italia, MTV Adria and MTV Türkiye.
- 2011 onwards
- From January 1, 2011, MTV Germany will only be available on major German Pay-TV platforms including Sky, Unitymedia, Telekom and Kabel BW. With the move from a free-to-air to a subscription based service. MTV Germany will no-longer host advertising on its subscription service channel. MTV Germany will continue to commission new music programming which will include MTV Brand New, MTV Top 11, 3 From 1, The Breakfast Club, Fantastic Music Videos, MTV's Chart Shows (titles to be confirmed), M is for Music. Localised programming will continue with MTV Home, a German-speaking music and entertainment show. Similar to MTV channels worldwide, MTV Germany will air reality shows these include: the American version of Skins and a new seasons of Jersey Shores, When I Was 17, Punk'd with Justin Bieber, 'Lauren Conrad Fashion Show'. MTV International VJ Alice Levine will be host to a new season of 'MTV @ The Movies' and 'Celebrity Bites' airing from early 2011.
- MTV Germany's sister channel VIVA will be the main music station for MTV Networks Germany and will continue to be made available free-to-air across Germany, Austria and Europe.
- MTV Networks Germany will also launch a new music channel MTV Brand: New which will focus on the new music releases from German-speaking and international artists.
- On May 16, 2011 MTV Networks in Germany launched high-definition versions of MTV, VIVA and Nickelodeon. MTV HD, VIVA HD and Nickelodeon/Comedy Central HD are a simulcast of the original MTV channels already available in Germany.
- On July 1, 2011 MTV Networks Germany rebranded its MTV channel to embrace the new global on-air identity, sharing the same MTV logo from the US.
- MTV Buzz (entertainment show approx. 3 minutes)
- MTV Breakfast Club
- MTV After Hours
- MTV Push (German-speaking version)
- MTV At The Movies (German-speaking version)
- MTV Crispy News (German-speaking Version)
- MTV World Stage
- Room Raiders
- 16 and Pregnant
- Flavor of Love
- Strange Love
- I Love New York
- South Park
- Drawn Together
- Family Guy
- Free for All
Former Local Shows
- Game One
- MTV Hot
- Fashion Zone
- MTV Fett
- MTV Urban (webshow only)
- MTV Rockzone (webshow only)
- MTV Home
- MTV Kitchen
- Non-Stop Hits
- Mad 4 Hits
- Alternative Nation
- Euro Top 20
- Hitlist UK
- Hitlist Germany
- Dance Floor Chart
- US top 20
- MTV In-Touch
- MTV Webchart
- MTV News
- MTV News Highlights
- MTV News Weekend Edition
- MTV News Mag
- MTV Easy
- MTV Bytesize
- MTV Masters
- MTV Sushi
- MTV Amour
- MTV Live from Berlin
- MTV Live
- MTV Megamix
- MTV Comixed
- Saturday Night Music
- MTV Daira
- MTV Celebrity Deathmatch
- Uli Brase (Current) - host of MTV Buzz
On September 7, 2008 MTV Germany changed their old Wishful Object on-air design to a new MTV: All Eyes On... design, which is also MTV Germany's new slogan. The on-air design was changed once more in July 2009 as a result of re-branding of all MTV channels (excluding MTV US).
All Eyes On...
All Eyes On... is one of MTV Germany's ways of highlighting singers and bands, which have released new music (and also might not already be widely known). Changing bi-weekly, an artist or group is chosen and then featured in clips announcing commercial breaks. The first band name to be put under the "All Eyes On" badge was MIA.; on October 6, the first non-German artist was Alicia Keys.
- http://mavise.obs.coe.int/cocoon/tp/channel/1875/channel.pdf Archived January 1, 2011, at WebCite
- http://www.rapidtvnews.com/index.php/201011188883/mtv-germany-unveils-pay-tv-details.html Archived December 1, 2010, at WebCite
- http://presse.mtv.de/channel/1/107299 Archived January 1, 2011, at WebCite