MV Arcadia (2004)
Arcadia in Copenhagen, Denmark, 2009
|Namesake:||The region of Arcadia|
|Port of registry:||Bermuda, Hamilton|
|Laid down:||12 July 2003|
|Launched:||26 June 2004|
|Acquired:||29 March 2005|
|In service:||April 2005|
|Class and type:||Vista class cruise ship|
|Length:||289.90 m (951.1 ft)|
|Beam:||32.20 m (105.6 ft)|
|Draught:||8 m (26 ft)|
|Speed:||22 knots (41 km/h; 25 mph)|
MS Arcadia is a cruise ship in the P&O Cruises fleet. The ship was built by Fincantieri at their shipyard in Marghera, Italy. At over 84,000 tonnes, Arcadia is the fourth largest of eight ships currently in service with P&O Cruises. The ship officially entered service with the company in April 2005 and was named by Dame Kelly Holmes.
Arcadia was ordered by Holland America Line in 2000 as their fifth Vista class vessel. In 2003 she was allocated to Cunard Line to become their Queen Victoria. Shortly before her launch the decision was made to transfer the ship to the P&O Cruises fleet. As a result, Arcadia has a Cunard style mast similar to those found on the RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 and the RMS Queen Mary 2. She also sports a modified QE2 style funnel (with cowling removed) instead of the traditional P&O style funnel found on the purpose built Oriana and Aurora. Arcadia along with Oriana and Adonia are adult only ships.
Arcadia uses the ABB Azipod system which is an azimuthing electric propulsion drive where the propulsion motor is installed inside a submerged azimuthing (unlimited 360 degrees) pod and coupled directly to an extremely short propeller shaft. The variable speed electric (AC/AC) drive produces smooth torque over the entire speed range including zero speed. The Azipod propulsion system gives the ship excellent manoeuvring capabilities. It allows full turns at high speed with a radius of less than a ship length. Almost equal speed can be achieved ahead and astern. Rudders as well as stern thrusters are obsolete if an Azipod propulsion is installed astern as it is capable of providing full thrust in all directions by setting the unit's direction angle simply with the vessel's steering control. The Azipod unit has no mechanical propulsion coupling as electric power is provided by a cable connection only, from the diesel-electric generators to the electric motor installed in the gondola directly behind the propeller. Arcadia has two ABB "AMZ 1250ZM12 LAEZ" Azipod units, with a motor power of 17.6MW.
- Spirit class - a similar class of Panamax ships operated by Carnival Cruise Lines.
- Radiance class - a similar class of Panamax ships operated by Royal Caribbean International
- MS Queen Victoria - a similar Panamax sized ship operated by Cunard Line.
- Vista class cruise ship - a similar class of Panamax ships operated by Holland America Line
- "Signature class" cruise ship - a similar class of Panamax ships operated by Holland America Line
- Coral Princess and Island Princess - A similar set of Panamax ships operated by Princess Cruises
- Costa Luminosa and Costa Deliziosa - A set of Panamax ships operated by Costa Cruises derived from the Spirit Class and Vista Class designs.
2008 Lloyd Werft refit
Arcadia made a scheduled refit at Lloyd Werft shipyard in Bremerhaven, Germany for a 24-day period from 26 November to 20 December 2008. She underwent a major refit to the stern, with 34 cabins added. Similar rear superstructure remodelling was done out on two of Holland America Line's Vista class vessels, with the other two following in 2008 and 2009. During the refit, the Cyb@Study was converted to a cinema, The Screening Room, with seating for approximately 30 people. The computers in the Cyb@Study were moved to the Horizon Lounge and Library. Several public areas were refurbished including the Aquarius bar which was made larger. Arcadia completed another refit in December 2013.
- "The "Arcadia" Launched at Venice-Marghera" (Press release). Fincantieri. June 26, 2004. Retrieved 22 January 2011.
- Micke Asklander. "M/S Arcadia (2005)". Fakta om Fartyg (in Swedish). Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- Ward, Douglas (2005). Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising & Cruise Ships. Singapore: Berlitz. ISBN 981-246-510-3.
- "Advanced Masterdata for the Vessel Arcadia". VesselTracker. 2011. Retrieved 16 January 2010.
- "Ship statistics: Arcadia". P&O Cruises. 2011. Retrieved 22 January 2011.
- "QV History". Chris' Cunard Page. Retrieved 17 February 2010.
- "Arcadia Deck Plans after November 2008 refit". P&O Cruises. Archived from the original (pdf) on January 11, 2014. Retrieved 2008-01-23.
- "Arcadia 2008 refit" (pdf). P&O Cruises. Retrieved 2008-11-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arcadia (ship, 2004).|
- P&O Cruises Arcadia Ship
- "Arcadia adults-only cruise ship review: Spa and bar, please" – review in The Sydney Morning Herald of a cruise on the Arcadia.