MV Hjaltland in Aberdeen, 2015
|Namesake:||Old Norse name for Shetland|
|Port of registry:||Lerwick, United Kingdom|
|Route:||Aberdeen to Lerwick via Kirkwall|
|Builder:||Aker Finnyards in Rauma, Finland|
|Laid down:||4 October 2001|
|In service:||1 October 2002|
|Class and type:||+100 A 1, Ro-Ro Cargo/Passenger Ferry + LMC, UMS, LI, NAV1|
|Length:||125 m (410 ft)|
|Beam:||20 m (66 ft)|
|Draught:||5.4 m (18 ft)|
|Installed power:||4 x MAK 6M43 5400 KW each|
|Propulsion:||2 CP propellers and 2 bow thrusters|
MV Hjaltland carries passengers, cars, freight and livestock. There are a choice of restaurants, bars and lounges, children's play area and a cinema. The restaurants and lounges have a total seating capacity of 600. The original 100 cabins had a total of 300 beds. All cabins are en-suite, most being two berth, with a number of four-berth cabins for families. In April 2007, an additional accommodation module was fitted in Birkenhead, increasing her capacity to 356 berths. The ship is fitted with lifts and was built to accommodate disabled passengers throughout. There are 10 officer and 28 crew cabins.
MV Hjaltland operates between Lerwick and Aberdeen, with a call at Kirkwall on some days. A walkway, built specifically for the current vessels, can take both foot and car passengers. She is also able to relieve on the Stromness to Scrabster crossing.
Incidents and accidents
On 9 September 2013, Search for passenger, 22, overboard from Hjaltland stood down http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-24014383
On 23 August 2013, MV Hjaltland was diverted from its normal route to assist with search and rescue efforts following the crash of a Super Puma helicopter two miles off the Shetland coast close to Sumburgh. The ferry was later used to transport the bodies of three of the crash victims to Aberdeen.
- "Hjaltland (IMO: 9244958)". Vessel Tracker. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Hjaltland". Marine Traffic. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Passenger Ro-Ro Ferries for NorthLink" (PDF). STX Europe. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Hjaltland". STX Europe. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Travel to, from and around the isles". The Shetland Times. 21 May 2010. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Hjaltland at Birkenhead". Irish Sea Shipping. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Man dies after fall from Northern Isles ferry Hjaltland". BBC News. 6 August 2012. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- "Helicopter Crashes Into Sea Off Shetland". Sky News. 23 August 2013. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- "Bodies of oil workers who died in North Sea helicopter crash returned to mainland". Telegraph. 26 August 2013. Retrieved 26 August 2013.