Horizon at Mahón in 2012
|Port of registry:|
|Builder:||Meyer Werft, Papenburg|
|Launched:||19 November 1989|
|Christened:||11 April 1990|
|Acquired:||30 April 1990|
|General characteristics |
|Class & type:||Horizon class cruise ship|
|Length:||208 m (682 ft)|
|Beam:||29 m (95 ft)|
|Draught:||7.31 m (24.0 ft)|
|Installed power:||3 x 3300kw MAN-B&W AUX|
|Speed:||21.5 knots (39.8 km/h; 24.7 mph)|
MV Horizon (formerly Pacific Dream, Island Star, Horizon) is a cruise ship operated by Pullmantur Cruises, in transition to operation by Croisières de France in spring 2012. She was built in 1990 at Meyer Werft in Papenburg, Germany for Celebrity Cruises as MV Horizon.
The vessel was constructed for Celebrity Cruises, who operated the vessel as Horizon. The exterior of the ship was designed by John Bannenberg while the principal designers for the interiors were Athens based Michael Katsourakis and British Designer John McNeece. The vessel's service with Celebrity ended in September 2005, when it was transferred to Island Cruises. The ship underwent refits over the end of 2005 and the beginning of 2006, and was operating out of Palma de Mallorca in the Mediterranean Sea as Island Star in summer and from Caribbean in winter season of 2008. It advertised cruising as "relaxed, friendly, and informal".
On 6 October 2008, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCL), the owner of Island Star, sold their 50% interest in Island Cruises to First Choice Holidays. Due to this the charter of Island Star to Island Cruises will end in April 2009 and was then reported to be transferred to the fleet of RCL's Spain-based subsidiary Pullmantur Cruises, although reports in May 2009 say that Pullmantur will not be operating the ship, instead, she will go to another Royal Caribbean company, CDF Croisières de France, although precise details of this have yet to be released. In May 2009 pictures of the ship showed it in Pullmantur Cruises colors and renamed Pacific Dream, although the trademark “X” of Celebrity Cruises, while painted-over, could still be discerned.
The Horizon is currently in operation by French cruise line CDF Croisières de France, sailing European and Caribbean itineraries.
Horizon being refited after being transferred to CDF Croisieres de France.
- "Royal Caribbean to sell its interest in Island GRTCruises – to redeploy Island Star to Pullmantur". Cruise Business Review. Cruise Media Oy Ltd. 2008-10-06. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- Asklander, Micke. "M/S Horizon (1990)". Fakta om Fartyg (in Swedish). Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- "Buque Horizon – Datos tecnicos" [Ship Horizon – Technical data] (in Spanish). Pullmantur Cruises. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Buque Horizon" (in Spanish). Pullmantur Cruises. 28 April 2012. Archived from the original on 28 April 2012. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- "Horizon 2012". Croisières de France. 28 April 2012. Archived from the original on 28 April 2012. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- Michael Sheehan of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd "Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. to Sell Its Interest in Island Cruises to First Choice Holidays Ltd"
- "Saga Expands Fleet?". Retrieved November 2010.
- "Pullmantur Reducing Capacity, Ocean Dream Leaving Fleet?". Cruise Industry News. 27 January 2012. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- Media related to IMO 8807088 at Wikimedia Commons
- Horizon at CDF Croisières de France
- "Horizon (8807088)". Equasis. French Ministry for Transport. Retrieved 2012-04-27. (registration required (. ))
- Professional photographs from shipspotting.com