MV Norse Variant
|Owner:||Odd Godager & Co.|
|Port of registry:||Oslo, Norway|
|Builder:||Uddevallavarvet AB, Uddevalla, Sweden|
|Identification:||IMO number: 6500222
Call sign: LNFC
|Fate:||Sank, 22 March 1973|
|General characteristics |
|Type:||Combined bulk and car carrier|
|Length:||541 ft 6 in (165.05 m)|
|Beam:||70 ft 2 in (21.39 m)|
|Draught:||40 ft 9 in (12.42 m)|
|Propulsion:||9,000 bhp (6,711 kW) B&W 2SCSA 6-cylinder marine diesel engine|
M/V Norse Variant was a Norwegian combined bulk and car carrier, which sank off the coast of New Jersey during a storm on 22 March 1973.
The ship was constructed by the Uddevallavarvet AB shipyard at Uddevalla, Sweden, for Odd Godager & Co. of Oslo, and was delivered on March 1965. Norse Variant could carry 1,500 cars and sailed between Europe, the US east and west coasts, and Japan, with cars and bulk cargoes. She sailed from Newport News on 21 March 1973 with a cargo of coal bound for Glasgow and sank in a late winter storm the next day. The last radio message from the ship was received at 13:49 on 22 March. Of the crew of 30 only one man, the oiler Stein Gabrielsen, survived, having spent three days on rafts before being rescued by the M/T Mobile Lube.
- Nørsett, Anstein Jarl (2014). "M\S Norse Variant". Sjøhistorisk database (in Norwegian). Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Pazara, Radu Hanzu; Ionel, Cioara Petrica; Barsan, Eugen (2010). "An analysis of the M/Vs Anita and Norse Variant distresses, in the Bermuda triangle" (PDF). Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Maritime and Naval Science and Engineering: 21–24. ISBN 978-960-474-222-6. ISSN 1792-4707. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Molstad-Andresen, Øystein (1973). Bare en kom tilbake [Only one came back]. Oslo: Gyldendal Norsk forlag. ISBN 82-05-06065-7.
- Bakka Jr., Dag (1986). De norske Uddevallaskipene. Larvik: B. A. Krohn Johansen & Co. ISBN 82-90528-04-3.
- Stille, Darlene R. (1974). "Disasters". The World Book Year Book 1974. Chicago: Field Enterprises Educational Corporation. p. 293. ISBN 0-7166-0474-4. LCCN 62004818.