MV Northern Expedition
M/V Northern Expedition
British Columbia Ferry Services Inc.Ship Senior Captain: Captain Orval Bouchard, Master Mariner
|Port of registry:||Victoria, BC|
|Acquired:||March 12, 2009|
|In service:||May 18, 2009|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines|
|Port of registry:||Kingstown|
|Ordered:||August 18, 2006|
|Builder:||Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft shipyard|
|Cost:||$133 Million (CAD)|
|Laid down:||June 16, 2008|
|Launched:||September 25, 2008|
|Completed:||January 29, 2009|
|Maiden voyage:||January 30, 2009|
|Out of service:||March 12, 2009|
|Status:||change of flag to Canada|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||ABS: +A1, Vehicle Passenger Ferry, Circle E, +AMS, ES|
|Propulsion:||Two MaK 9M32C|
|Speed:||21 knots (39 km/h)|
On August 18, 2006 BC Ferries awarded the contract to build a replacement vessel for Queen of Prince Rupert to Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft shipyard in Flensburg, Germany (the same shipyard awarded the contract for the 3 new Coastal class ferries). Shortly thereafter it was determined that the new ship would be named Northern Expedition and that BC Ferries' other northern vessel (the recently purchased Sonia, the replacement for the sunken Queen of the North) would be named Northern Adventure.
The keel of the vessel was laid on June 16, 2008 and she was launched on September 25, 2008. Sea trials took place at Baltic Sea east from Danish island Bornholm between January 7–9, 2009. The vessel left Germany on 30 January 2009 bound for B.C. via the Panama Canal. Northern Expedition completed her 9,900 nautical mile journey on 6 March 2009, passing Victoria and Vancouver before arriving in Departure Bay at Nanaimo for post-voyage inspection.
Northern Expedition entered service on 18 May 2009 along the Inside Passage route between Prince Rupert and Port Hardy. She joined Northern Adventure in BC Ferries' northern fleet and allowed for the retirement of Queen of Prince Rupert.
- 55 staterooms
- the Canoe Cafe
- the Vista Restaurant
- the reserved seating Aurora Lounge
- the Raven Lounge, which features 3 large-screen TV's
- the Passages Gift Shop
- a children's play area
- multiple non-reserved seating lounges
MV Queen of the North
|BC Ferries Northern Flagship along with MV Northern Adventure
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Northern Expedition (ship, 2009).|
- "BC Ferries: BC Ferries Northern Expedition Makes Inaugural Sailing Today". 2009-05-18.
- "BC Ferries: BC Ferries Signs Contract to Build New Northern Vessel" (PDF). 2006-08-18.
- "BC Ferries: New Northern Expedition Set to Arrive Friday". 2009-03-05.
- "BC Ferries: Northern Expedition Keel Laying in Germany". 2008-06-16.
- "BC Ferries: BC Ferries New Northern Vessel Launched in Germany Today". 2008-09-25.
- "BC Ferries: New Northern Vessel Now en Route to BC". 2009-01-30.
- "Northern Expedition profile from BC ferries". 2009-05-16.
- "BC Ferries: BC Ferries Announces Names of New Northern Vessels" (PDF). 2006-12-15.