The Queen of Sidney entering the Westview terminal at Powell River in 1993.
|Succeeded by:||Victoria Class|
|In service:||1960–2000 & 1960–2008|
The Sidney Class consists of the original two ferries built for the British Columbia Ferry Corporation in 1960. The design for the ships was based on the MV Coho ferry with changes made to accommodate loading of vehicles through the bow of the vessel.
After more than 40 years of service, the Queen of Sidney (Hull 85) was retired on November 28, 2000 after numerous complaints of intense rusting and health hazards the ship was sent to a shipyard in Mission, BC, where it has sat ever since. The Queen of Tsawwassen (Hull 309) continued in service until the fall of 2008. A decommissioning ceremony was held on September 27, 2008 at the Deas Pacific Marine shipyard.
These two ships spent almost all of their service life identical to when they were constructed, except for an expansion of the restaurant areas, due to unexpected food demand shortly after they commenced service.
- Overall length: 102.49m
- Gross tonnage: 3127.33 tons
- Car capacity: 138
- Passenger Capacity: 989
- Service speed: 18 knots
|| BC Ferries Flagship
Victoria Class ferries
In popular culture
The resting place of the Queen of Sidney in mission, has been used in the television show The Secret Circle as the location for a battle between the circle of witches and the witch hunters in the episode "Family."
The Queen of Sidney appears in the 2008 monster movie, "Sea Beast".
The Queen of Sidney also appeared on the History Channel TV show Canadian Pickers.
The Queen of Sidney was memorialized in a song of the same name written by Paul McCandless and recorded by the group OREGON (on their album "CROSSING").
The Queen of Sidney is seen in the 2016 Disney Channel show Mech-X4.
The Queen of Sidney is seen in the 2017-18 mid season finale and the mid season premiere of "Supernatural" 
- Bannerman, Gary & Patricia. The Ships of British Columbia – An Illustrated History of the British Columbia Ferry Corporation. Hancock House Publishers. Surrey, BC. 1985.
- BC Ferries- A Complete Pictoral Study of BC's Ferry Fleet. John L. Barnard Photographs Ltd. Date unknown.
- "MID-SEASON: Jack is Back on the SUPERNATURAL Fall Finale". Retrieved 2018-02-03.[permanent dead link]
- "Movies Filmed at Queen of Sidney—MovieMaps". Retrieved 2018-02-02.
- 'Sidney' Class Vessels – The duo that started it all (gallery)[permanent dead link]
- Evergreenfleet.com – Sidney class profile
- In 2014 the Queen of Sidney can be seen here