M Mall O2O
|Location||George Town, Penang, Malaysia|
|Owner||Ivory Properties Group|
|Total retail floor area||353,317 sq ft (32,824.2 m2)|
|No. of floors||4|
The four-storey shopping mall contains decorations consisting of murals and replicas of Penang's famed landmarks and lifestyles. The retail floors include thematic areas, with each designed to replicate a different country. In addition, the mall, with over 500 retail outlets, also houses Penang's first wax museum.
Notably, M Mall O2O is the first shopping mall in Penang to introduce virtual currency as a payment mode. This has proved controversial, however, leading to a police raid on the mall in 2017.
The shopping centre, which includes MBI International Sdn Bhd as its tenants, is the first in Penang to implement the use of virtual currency as an alternative payment method. This concept allows shoppers to utilise 'points' online in exchange for services or products within the mall.
While this novel concept has attracted customers from abroad, particularly China, the use of virtual currency has raised suspicions of investment fraud. Consequently, in 2017, the Royal Malaysian Police and government officials raided the shopping mall as part of a nationwide investigation on illegal investment schemes.
M Mall O2O is home to Penang's first wax museum, which contains a collection of wax sculptures of prominent figures, including Queen Elizabeth II and Barack Obama. In addition, an amusement centre for children is available within the mall's top floor.
Parts of the shopping mall are designed to replicate sceneries in different countries, such as the United Kingdom, South Korea and Thailand. Other interior decorations include murals depicting Penang's lifestyles and a large-scale replica of the Penang Bridge.
- "Ivory Properties: No tie-up with Mcoin company". www.thesundaily.my. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Queen graces opening of mall at Penang Times Square - Community | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "M Mall O2O". Penang Trails.
- II, Administrator. "Penang Fun-Filled Wax Museum". www.visitpenang.gov.my. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Penang mall where cash is not king - Nation | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Penang poised to register record year in tourism numbers". www.thesundaily.my. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Authorities raid virtual money mall in Penang". 2017-05-29. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Ivory targets completion of Penang Times Square by 2020 | theSundaily". www.thesundaily.my. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "Penang 'virtual money' mall raided - Nation | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Putrajaya freezes RM177m in bank accounts linked to MBI Group". 2017-05-31. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- M_Adnan. "Mmall - Malaysia Largest Online Shoping Mall". mmallo2o.com. Retrieved 2017-12-20.