Maakurathu (Raa Atoll)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Administrative atoll||Raa Atoll|
|Distance to Malé||166.39 km (103.39 mi)|
|• Island Chief||Hassan Ali|
|• Total||0.48 km2 (0.19 sq mi)|
|• Length||0.935 km (0.581 mi)|
|• Width||0.829 km (0.515 mi)|
|• Total||1,340 in august 2,019|
|Time zone||UTC+05:00 (MST)|
Maakurathu's location coordinates are 73°02′52″E, 05°36′41″N. It is approximately 3,035 ft (925 m) in length and 2,706 ft (825 m) in width, and the area of the island is approximately 4,671,537 sq ft (43.4 ha).
The population of the island is 1330, according to the census of August 2017, of whom 630 are women and 700 are men. Maakurathu's population growth rate is 18 children per annum and it has the 8th highest population in the atoll.
|2006-2014: Census populations|
- Maakurathu Council Edhaaraa
- Maakurathu Mejistrat Court
The main source of the community's income comes from the lobster and seafood trade, fishing, agriculture, masonry, thatch weaving and rope making.
Clubs and NGOs
The clubs and NGOs operating in Maakurathu are:
- Maakurathu Sports Club (registered date: 1 March 2000)
- Maakurathu Akuveringe Dhirun (registered date: 17 January 2005)
- People's Association of Maakurathu - PEAMA (registered date: 2009)
- Jamiyyathul islaah (registered date: 20 January 2015)
- Maakurathu cooperative society
There is one government school, Maakurathu School, which provides education from grade 1 to 10. There is one pre-school, which is owned and run by the public and backed by Maakurathu Sports Club, which provides education for lower and upper kindergarten.
- School 1
- 2 Pre-school 1
- 3 Quran class 1
- Maakurathu Health Post
There are three mosques on the island, one for men and two for women: Majid-Al-Salaam, Masjid-Al-Anwaar and Masjid-Al-(******). The two mosques for women are relatively small compared to the one for men. Masjid-Al-Salaam was completely demolished in August 2007 to build a new mosque.
Holhuashi in a Maakurath
- Thohtho adaa
- Fini ashi 3
- Mudhin hiyaa (Jabiru adaa)
- dark town (kukuu kanmathi)
- Rai Adaa
- Fithuroan Adaa
- Mun'du Adaa
- "Table PP5: Resident Population by sex, nationality and locality (administrative islands), 2014" (PDF). Population and Households Census 2014. National Bureau of Statistics. p. 34. Retrieved 11 August 2019.
- "Coordinate Distance Calculator". Boulter.com. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- "Table 3.3: Total Maldivian Population by Islands" (PDF). National Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
|This Maldives location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|