|Also known as||Maangchi|
|Total views||570 million|
Emily Kim (born Kim Kwang-sook; Korean: 김광숙; RR: Gim Gwang-suk; MR: Kim Kwang-suk; born 1957), commonly known as Maangchi (Korean: 망치; RR: Mangchi; MR: Mangch'i), is a Korean-American YouTuber and author. She is notable for producing cooking videos centered around Korean cuisine. She was described by The New York Times as "YouTube's Korean Julia Child.".
In 1992, Kim and her husband moved to Columbia, Missouri, where Kim worked as a teacher. In Missouri, she found the quality, variety, and availability of Korean food to be lacking, and so she often cooked for other members of the local Korean-American community.
In 2003, she and her husband divorced, and with her two fully-grown children out of the house, Kim started playing MMO City of Heroes using the character name Maangchi, meaning "Hammer" in Korean.
Kim was introduced to YouTube's online cooking scene in 2007, inspiring her to begin making videos about Korean food, using the channel name "Maangchi". Her channel quickly grew in popularity, attributed to her upbeat attitude and her strict adherence to traditional Korean recipes. Prompted by her YouTube channel's success, Kim published her first cookbook in 2015.
In March 2018, the Korean Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs announced it would be collaborating with Kim and her brand to better showcase Korean foods to American consumers.
As of February 2021, Kim's YouTube channel has 5.33 million subscribers.
- "Maangchi: YouTube's Korean Julia Child". Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- "Maangchi promotes Korean cuisine with her videos". Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- "6 East Asian YouTube Chefs Who Will Have You Drooling on Your Laptop". Study Breaks. 2018-07-23. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- "YouTube Sensation Publishes Her First Cookbook". www.wbur.org. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- "Famous YouTuber to Showcase Korean Food Ingredients | Be Korea-savvy". koreabizwire.com. Retrieved 2018-09-02.
- "Maangchi - YouTube". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2021-02-14.