HaMaariv Aravim, or simply Maariv Aravim, is the first blessing before the Shema and generally the opening prayer during Maariv. It is considered to be the parallel prayer to Yotzer ohr, which is recited in the same place at Shacharit. Just as Yotzer Ohr speaks of the coming of light, HaMaariv Aravim speaks of the coming of darkness.
Time of recitation
- Shema is for Real By Joel Lurie Grishaver, page 62
- Teaching Tefilah: Insights and Activities on Prayer By Bruce Kadden, Barbara Binder Kadden, page 48
- Śiaḥ śarfe ḳodesh By Richard N. Levy, Hillel, the Foundation for Jewish Campus Life, page 57
- Teaching Tefilah: Insights and Activities on Prayer By Bruce Kadden, Barbara Binder Kadden, page 45
- Rabbinic-lay relations in Jewish law By Walter Jacob, Freehof Institute of Progressive Halakhah, Central Conference of American Rabbis, page 124