|No. 10 – Sidigas Avellino|
September 3, 1985 |
|Listed height||6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)|
|Listed weight||220 lb (100 kg)|
|High school||Redmond (Redmond, Oregon)|
|NBA draft||2008 / Round: 2 / Pick: 54th overall|
|Selected by the Houston Rockets|
|Career highlights and awards|
Maarten Arthur "Maarty" Leunen (born September 3, 1985) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for Sidigas Avellino of the Italian Serie A. A power forward formerly at the University of Oregon, he averaged 9.9 points per game and 7.0 rebounds per game in his college career.
Prior to arriving at the University of Oregon, Leunen starred at Redmond High School in Redmond, Oregon. Leunen led Redmond to the state championship in 2003, where they beat Hillsboro High School 50-47 at Portland's Memorial Coliseum. In 2004, he led Redmond to the state championship game but the team fell short, losing to South Salem High School 54-43 at Eugene's McArthur Court. Leunen was named Gatorade state player of the year in 2004. Rated as the 14th best power forward prospect by Rivals.com, Leunen chose the University of Oregon over offers from UCLA and Gonzaga University as well as many others.
After solid contributions as a true freshman and sophomore for the Ducks, Leunen became one of the most important pieces to Oregon's 2006–2007 campaign. In the Ducks' four-guard offense, Leunen often found himself matched up against bigger, taller opponents. His post defense, rebounding and offensive versatility (namely his ability to shoot the three and run the floor) created problems for opponents all season long. Leunen's junior season performance garnered him All-Pac-10 Honorable Mention status.
After being drafted by the Houston Rockets, Leunen signed with the Turkish League team Darüşşafaka, which is associated with the big Turkish club Efes Pilsen in the summer of 2008. In July 2009, he joined the Italian League club Pallacanestro Cantù. In July 2014, he signed a one-year deal with the German club ratiopharm Ulm.
Leunen was drafted with the 54th overall pick in the 2008 NBA draft by the Houston Rockets but didn't sign with them. A year later, he was invited to play for the Rockets' summer squad in the 2009 Las Vegas Summer League.
Awards and accomplishments
- All-Pac-10 Honorable Mention 2007
Leunen is married to Caitlin O'Neill, and they have three sons. Leunen holds a youth basketball camp in his old hometown of Redmond, Oregon annually.
- "Prospect Profile". NBA.com. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- "Q&A With Daryl Morey". NBA.com. September 23, 2008. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- "Cantù inks Leunen". Sportando.com. July 14, 2009. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- "Ratiopharm Ulm lands Maarten Leunen". Sportando.com. July 22, 2014. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- "Sidigas Avellino announces Maarten Leunen". Sportando.com. September 11, 2015. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- "Rockets select Donte Greene, Joey Dorsey, and Maarty Leunen in NBA Draft". NBA.com. June 30, 2008. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- "2009 Rockets Summer League Team". NBA.com. Archived from the original on January 15, 2016. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- "L.A. CLIPPERS TRADE JOSH SMITH TO HOUSTON ROCKETS". NBA.com. January 22, 2016. Retrieved January 22, 2016.