Stars of the Photoplay, 1924
January 1, 1885
|Died||July 24, 1958 (aged 73)|
Santa Monica, California, U.S.
|Resting place||Woodlawn Memorial Cemetery|
|Spouse(s)||Hugo Ballin (m.1909–1956; his death)|
Early life and career
Mabel Croft was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on January 1, 1885. Some sources give 1887 as her birthdate. Both of Croft's parents died when she was 2 years old, which resulted in her being raised by her grandfather and social worker grandmother.
Mabel Croft's first stage experience was at Salvation Army hall, where she played the tambourine to bring in donations. Raised in poverty, Croft was working as a dressmaker when a customer paid for her tuition to an industrial arts school. Croft never graduated, instead moving to New York to pursue a career in acting.
Ballin appeared in 28 films between 1917 and 1925. She achieved popularity during World War I.
She is best known for her role in Riders of the Purple Sage (1925). Other notable films she appeared in include The Glorious Adventure (1918), Jane Eyre (1921), and Vanity Fair (1923), in which she portrayed Becky Sharp.
- When Bobby Broke His Arm (1917)
- Bobby, Movie Director (1917)
- Bobby, Boy Scout (1917)
- Bobby's Bravery (1917)
- The Spreading Dawn (1917) *Lost film, only a fragment survives
- For Valour (1917)
- The Service Star (1918) *Lost film
- The Glorious Adventure (1918) *Lost film
- The Turn of the Wheel (1918) *Lost film
- Laughing Bill Hyde (1918) *Lost film
- The Danger Game (1918)
- The White Heather (1919)
- Lord and Lady Algy (1919) *Lost film
- The Illustrious Prince (1919)
- The Quickening Flame (1919)
- Under Crimson Skies (1920)
- Pagan Love (1920)
- Jane Eyre (1921)
- East Lynne (1921)
- The Journey's End (1921)
- Screen Snapshots, Series 1, No. 24 (1921)
- Screen Snapshots, Series 3, No. 9 (1922)
- Other Women's Clothes (1922)
- Married People (1922)
- Souls for Sale (1923)
- Vanity Fair (1923) *Lost film
- Screen Snapshots, Series 4, No. 10 (1924)
- Riders of the Purple Sage (1925)
- Code of the West (1925) *Lost film
- Barriers Burned Away (1925)
- Beauty and the Bad Man (1925)
- The Shining Adventure (1925)
- The Rainbow Trail (1925)
- Screen Snapshots, Series 5, No. 14 (1925)
- Lowe, Denise (2005). Encyclopedic dictionary of women in early American films: 1895-1930. Routledge. ISBN 9781317718970. OCLC 869641660.
- Wilson, Scott (2016). Resting Places: The Burial Sites of More Than 14,000 Famous Persons (3rd ed.). McFarland & Company. p. 39. ISBN 9780786479924.
- "The Spreading Dawn (silent film)". allmovie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-12.
- Workman, Christopher; Howarth, Troy (2016). "Tome of Terror: Horror Films of the Silent Era". Midnight Marquee Press. p. 238.ISBN 978-1936168-68-2.
- Hischak, Thomas S. (2012). American Literature on Stage and Screen: 525 Works and Their Adaptations. Jefferson, N.C: McFarland. p. 19. ISBN 9780786492794.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mabel Ballin.|