This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (December 2013)
|Died||May 31, 1993(aged 86)|
|Education||Spiritual training, self-taught|
|Known for||Basket weaving|
Greg Sarris published a biography of Mabel, called Weaving the Dream (University of California Press, 1997).
Life as doctor and weaver
Mabel used prayer as a way of communicating to Spirit, and in return Spirit showed Mabel what to make for each person.
Mabel was a well-respected scholar. She spoke at universities and served as a cultural consultant for anthropologists. She spoke at the New School in New York with Essie Parrish on March 14, 1972. As a weaver her skill and attention to detail brought worldwide recognition to her basketry. Her baskets are shown in many museum collections in the U.S. and abroad. Weaving for Mabel was a spiritual path, not a craft. She was never 'taught' to weave a basket. Instead she was strictly instructed by Spirit as a Dreamer.
- Luthin, 324
- Rothenburg, Jerome. "Outsider Poems, a Mini-Anthology in Progress (52): Essie Parish in New York". Jerome Rothenburg Poems and Poetics. Retrieved 2013-04-08.
- Ludwig, David. 1994. Pomo Basketweavers: A Tribute To Three Elders. Creative Light Production. Video.
- Luthin, Herbert W. Surviving through the Days: Translations of Native California Stories and Songs. Berkeley: University of California Press. ISBN 978-0-520-22270-0.
- Farris, Phoebe (1999). Women artists of color : a bio-critical sourcebook to 20th century artists in the Americas. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press. p. 62. ISBN 0-313-30374-6. OCLC 40193578.
- Matuz, R. (1998). St. James guide to native North American artists. Detroit: St. James Press. pp. 369–370. ISBN 978-1-558-62221-0.
- Sarris, Greg. 1993. Keeping slug woman alive: A holistic approach to American Indian texts. Berkeley: University of California Press. ISBN 978-0-520-08007-2.
- Sarris, Greg. 1994. Mabel McKay: Weaving the Dream. Berkeley: University of California Press. ISBN 978-0-520-20968-8.