|Gravity Falls character|
|First appearance||"Tourist Trapped" (2012)|
|Created by||Alex Hirsch|
|Voiced by||Kristen Schaal|
|Occupation||Part-time employee at the Mystery Shack's gift shop|
|Family||Dipper Pines (twin brother)|
|Relatives||Grunkle Stan (great uncle)
Stanford Pines (great uncle)
Sherman Pines (grandfather)
Filbrick Pines (great grandfather)
Ma Pines (great grandmother)
Mabel Pines is one of the lead characters of the Disney XD (formerly Disney Channel) animated series Gravity Falls. The character is voiced by Kristen Schaal, and designed by the series creator, Alex Hirsch. She is inspired by Hirsch's own twin sister, Ariel Hirsch. Mabel first appeared on the unreleased, unnamed pilot created by Hirsch which he used to pitch the show; she then appeared on the first episode "Tourist Trapped". Mabel, with her brother Dipper Pines, stars in every episode of the show. Mabel also has two series of shorts dedicated to her: "Mabel's Guide to Life" and "Mabel's Scrapbook."
Mabel is an energetic 12-year-old girl who is sent with her brother to spend her summer vacation in her great-uncle's tourist trap called the "Mystery Shack". She helps her brother Dipper as he endeavors to uncover the secrets of the fictional town of Gravity Falls and to find an explanation for the strange situations he experiences. They are helped by the handyman that works there, Soos. The situations that they encounter include dealing with various supernatural or legendary creatures, like gnomes, cryptids, demons, and minotaurs.
The adventures of Mabel and her brother are inspired by the childhood of series creator Alex Hirsch and his own twin sister. As a character, Mabel has been critically well received. She appears in various Gravity Falls merchandise, such as on clothing and in video games.
Role in Gravity Falls
Mabel Pines is an energetic, optimistic and bouncy girl from Piedmont, California, forced to spend her summer together with her great uncle Stan in the fictional town of Gravity Falls, Oregon. She is accompanied by her twin brother Dipper Pines. Their parents aren't revealed in the show. She makes the best of every situation with a big, goofy smile and her variety of colorful sweaters and skirts. She is a self-proclaimed arts and crafts master, going so far as to make a wax figure of her Grunkle Stan with the leftover wax of a melted figure during the episode "Headhunters". She is actually growing to like Grunkle Stan and he likes her too, and is often protective. Mabel is boy crazy and dislikes anyone who opposes her brother. She has a pet pig named Waddles who she won in the episode "The Time Traveler's Pig".
- "Comedy Showrunners Week: Alex Hirsch on the real in the unreal of Gravity Falls". A.V. Club. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- Hinckley, David (June 29, 2012). "New animated Disney series 'Gravity Falls' rises to an endearing level of tween cool". New York Daily News. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- "Top and Upcoming iOS Apps to Play: 'Plants vs. Zombies 2,' 'Gravity Falls,' New Game from Candy Crush Saga Dev and More". International Business Times. August 16, 2013. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "Watch My Show: Gravity Falls' Alex Hirsch Answers Our Showrunner Survey". TV Guide. August 22, 2012. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "An Undercurrent of Darkness, Even at Disney, By BROOKS BARNES". The New York Times. August 17, 2012. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "ALEX HIRSCH ON ‘GRAVITY FALLS,’ MABEL’S SWEATER COLLECTION AND TV’S FEAR OF SINCERITY, By Chris Sims". Comics Alliance. August 24, 2012. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- Adams, Erik. "Gravity Falls’ Alex Hirsch previews the show’s new season by recapping its first". AV Club. Retrieved November 21, 2015.