MacArthur High School (Decatur, Illinois)
|Douglas MacArthur High School|
|1155 North Fairview Avenue
|School district||Decatur Sd 61|
|Faculty||52.4 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||25.3|
|Color(s)||royal blue and White|
Douglas MacArthur High School is a public high school located in Decatur, Illinois. The school serves about 1,300 students from grades 9 to 12 in Decatur Public Schools District 61. in the past, some of its students have participated in the reality television program The N's Student Body. As with crosstown rival Eisenhower High School, MacArthur is organized into communities that the students will remain in for four years. The students at MacArthur High School come from all sections of Decatur.
MacArthur High School was named after the American World War II general Douglas MacArthur, famous for his key involvement in the Pacific theater of the war. Correspondingly, the school's mascot is the generals.
The 2011 school enrollment was 1,226 students. The racial makeup of the school in 2011 was 42.7% White, 46.7% African American, 3.2% Multiracial, 1.3% Hispanic, .7% Asian, and .2% Native American. 57% of the student population are low income students.
In 2008, 36.8% of the student population met or exceeded in all subjects. The school did not make Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) as defined by federal and state laws in 2008. In 2008, the high school graduation rate was 92.3%, up from 76.6% in 2007. The dropout rate lowered from 10.8% in 2007 to 2.5% in 2008.
Football, Baseball, Softball, Basketball, Crossrunning, Wrestling, Track, Soccer, Tennis, Golf, Swimming, Volleyball, Show Choir ( Decatur Elite Energy) and cheerleading.
- Jason Avant, NFL wide receiver for the Kansas City Chiefs (Freshman year only)
- Brian Culbertson, musician, funk-based instrumentalist, jazz artist (Class of 1991)
- Loren Coleman, cryptozoologist, author, television personality (Class of 1965)
- L. Douglas Hagen (1946 - 1971), US Army Special Forces Green Beret and Medal of Honor recipient (Class of 1964)
- Steve Hunter, musician, guitrtist, playedl with Mitch Ryder, Lou Reed, Alice Cooper, Peter Gabriel and others (Class of 1966)
- John F. McDonald economist, PhD Yale 1971, author, professor and dean at University of Illinois at Chicago (class of 1961)