|MacDonnell Regional Council|
|Population||6,029 (2016 census)|
|• Density||0.0224306/km2 ( 0.058095/sq mi)|
|Area||268,784.20 km2 (103,778.2 sq mi)|
|Council seat||Alice Springs (not part of council)|
|Region||Alice Springs Region|
|Territory electorate(s)||Namatjira, Stuart|
|Website||MacDonnell Regional Council|
The MacDonnell Regional Council is a local government area of the Northern Territory, Australia. The region covers an area of 268,784 square kilometres (103,778 square miles) and has an estimated population of around 6,000 people as at the 2016 Census.
MacDonnell Regional Council occupies the south of the Northern Territory and is the only LGA that borders with South Australia, specifically with Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara in the southwest and the unincorporated area in the southeast.
In October 2006 the Northern Territory Government announced the reform of local government areas. The intention of the reform was to improve and expand the delivery of services to towns and communities across the Northern Territory by establishing eleven new shires. The MacDonnell Shire Council was created on 1 July 2008 as were the remaining ten shires. On 1 January 2014, it was renamed MacDonnell Region.
Elections of shire councillors were held on 25 October 2008. The current President (Mayor) of the MacDonnell Region is Sid Anderson.
Community Government Councils merged into the MacDonnell Shire as did a large area of unincorporated area. The existing Community Government Councils and one regional council were (they are towns now, see below):
- Areyonga Community Incorporated
- Aputula Housing Association Incorporated
- Ikuntji Community Council Incorporated
- Imanpa Community Incorporated (was not a council)
- Kaltukatjara Community Council Aboriginal Corporation
- Ntaria Council Incorporated
- Papunya Community Council Incorporated
- Walungurru Council Aboriginal Corporation
- Wallace Rockhole Community Government Council
- Amoonguna Community Incorporated
- Ltyentye Apurte Community Government Council
- Tapatjatjaka Community Government Council
- Watiyawanu Community Government Council
The MacDonnell Regional Council is divided into 4 wards, which are governed by 12 councillors:
- Rodinga (4)
- Ljirapinta (2)
- Luritja Pintubi (4)
- Iyarrka (3)
Towns by ward
- Luritja Pintubi
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "MacDonnell (R)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 9 December 2017.
- http://www.macdonnell.nt.gov.au/Portals/1/Information%20Sheets/mcd_info_sheet_our_shire.pdf[permanent dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-07-11. Retrieved 2009-07-29.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)