|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009)|
Macarius is a Latinized form of a Greek given name Makarios. The old-Greek word Μακάριος makarios (mak-ar'-ee-os) is a prolonged form of the poetical μάκαρ makar (of the same meaning); supremely blessed; by extension fortunate, well off: - blessed, happy.
In other languages the name has the following forms:
- Finnish: the given name Kari or Karri. Derived surname: Mäkäräinen.
- Greek: Makarios
- Italian: Macario, which is also a family name
- Portuguese: Macário
- Russian/Ukrainian/Belarusian: Makar (Макар) or its archaic/Church Slavonic form Makariy (Макарий), -ий being a common Russian language rendering of Greek and Latin suffixes -ios/-ius/-ium. Makariy is still in use in the context of the Russian Orthodox Church, which uses Church Slavonic traditions. Derived surnames: Makarov/Makarova, Makarenko, Makarchuk, Makarevich.
- Serbian: Makarije/Макарије
People named Macarius
- Macarius of Egypt: (300-390) Egyptian monk and hermit. Also known as Pseudo-Macarius, Macarius-Symeon, Macarius the Elder, or St. Macarius the Great
- Macarius of Alexandria: Also known as Macarius the Younger.
- Macarius of Antioch: Patriarch of Antioch, deposed in 681.
- Macarius Magnes
- Macarius of Jerusalem
- Venerable Macarius of Yellow Water Lake and Unzha (1349-1444), founder of several Russian monasteries.
- Macarius (1482-1563), metropolitan of Moscow
- Macarius III Zaim, Melkite Patriarch of Antioch from 1647 to 1672
- Macarius, elder of Optina monastery
- Macarius I, head of the Holy Synod in 1879-1882 in Russia, better known as his church's leading historian.
- Macarius II, head of the Holy Synod in 1912-1917 in Russia.
- Macarius of Alexandria, a martyr, saint, and companion of Faustus, Abibus and Dionysius of Alexandria
- Makarios I, archbishop of Cyprus from 1854 to 1865.
- Makarios II, archbishop of Cyprus from 1948 to 1950.
- Makarios III, archbishop (1950–1977) and president of Cyprus (1960–1977).
- Makarios Nkya of Tanzania (1968-todate)
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|