Macarius IV Tawil
Macarius IV Tawil
|Patriarch of Antioch|
|Church||Melkite Greek Catholic Church|
|See||Patriarch of Antioch|
|Installed||10 December 1813|
|Term ended||15 December 1815|
|Predecessor||Athanasius V Matar|
|Successor||Ignatius V Qattan|
by Agapius II Matar
|Died||15 December 1815|
Macarius Tawil was born in Damascus.:123 He entered in the religious order of the Basilian Salvatorians of which he was Superior from 1804 to 1807 and from 1810 to 1812. He was consecrated bishop of Zahle and Forzol by patriarch Agapius II Matar:85 in 1811.
Macarius Tawil was elected patriarch by a synod of bishops held on 10 December 1813 at the Holy Saviour monastery, and he kept the name of Macarius . His election was contested, and it was still under review by the Roman Congregation of Propaganda Fide when Macarius IV Tawil died of pestilence on 15 December 1815.
- Charon (Korolevsky), Cyril (1998) . History of the Melkite Patriarchates. 1. Eastern Christian Publications. ISBN 1-892278-01-4.
- Charon (Korolevsky), Cyril (2001) . History of the Melkite Patriarchates. 3 part 2. Eastern Christian Publications. p. 426. ISBN 1-892278-04-9.
- "Patriarch Macaire IV Tawil, B.S." Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- on 29 November according to the Julian calendar
- on 3 December according to the Julian calendar
- Korolevsky, Cyril (1924). "Antioche". Dictionnaire d'histoire et de géographie ecclésiastiques. 3. Paris: Letouzey et Ané. p. 651.
|Catholic Church titles|
| Patriarch of Antioch
|This article about an Eastern Catholic bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a Greek religious figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|