|Location||Gilchrist Drive Campbelltown N.S.W|
|Opening date||29 August 1979|
|Management||Lend Lease Corporation|
|Owner||Australian Prime Property Fund and The GPT Group|
|No. of stores and services||285|
|No. of anchor tenants||6|
|Total retail floor area||90,0002|
|No. of floors||3|
|Website||Macathur Square Website|
Macarthur Square is a large shopping centre on the southern side of Campbelltown, New South Wales, Australia. The shopping centre was opened by the Lend Lease Corporation and GPT on 29 August 1979. The shopping centre is situated adjacent to Macarthur Railway Station, where trains terminate on the Airport, Inner West & South Line.
Macarthur Square was opened in 1979 by The Hon. Paul Landa, Minister for Planning and Environment. Macarthur Square was seen as a major regional shopping centre for the Macarthur Growth Centre in south-western Sydney. The NSW State Planning Authority purchased large tracts of land in the Campbelltown area in the 1960s. The Authority produced a structure plan in 1973 under the title of the Campbelltown-Camden-Appin Three Cities Plan. State and Commonwealth funding established a growth centre in the region. An agreement between the Liberal Government in NSW and the Whitlam Labor Government in Canberra provided funds for land acquisition and urban development. The Growth Centre was called Macarthur Growth Centre and established a development board. The Macarthur Development Board bought and sold land, developed industrial estates and the Macarthur Square shopping centre.
Shopping / Facilities
It features a 3 floor David Jones store, Big W, Target, Coles, EB Games Australia, Gametraders, Smiggle, and Woolworths stores. The centre also features an outdoor entertainment and restaurant precinct known as "Kellicar Lane". This area opened during the most recent expansion in November 2005. Above Kellicar Lane is a food court that has large glass windows that look over Kellicar Lane, Campbelltown and the surrounding countryside.
- "Daily Telegraph - Macarthur Square turns 35 today and customers will join in the celebrations". 1 September 2014. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- Herron Todd White Property Advisors: The Month in Review (PDF), 1 February 2004.
- Toon, John; Falk, Jonathan (2003). Sydney Planning Or Politics : Town Planning for Sydney Region Since 1945. University of Sydney. ISBN 1864876018.
- "Macarthur Square Store Directory". Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "Macarthur - Dining". Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "About - Macarthur Square". www.macarthursquare.com.au. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
|This retail business article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in New South Wales is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|