Macedonians in the United Kingdom
|2,983 Macedonian-born (2011 census)|
|Regions with significant populations|
|London, Southeastern United Kingdom|
|Macedonian Orthodox Church|
|Part of a series on|
|By region or country|
Macedonians in the United Kingdom refers to people from the Republic of Macedonia that have formed communities in or were born in the United Kingdom. The 2011 UK Census recorded a total of 2,983 residents who stated that their country of birth was Macedonia.
History of Macedonians in the United Kingdom
The majority of Macedonians in Britain arrived after the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia permitted emigration to the West in the 1960s and 1970s. Many Macedonians especially from the Demir Hisar, Bitola and Prilep regions left for Britain during this period. During the 1980s many professionals left Skopje to work in London for the Socialist Republic of Macedonia and for international organisations stationed there. Following the Breakup of Yugoslavia hundreds of ethnic Macedonians left for Britain. After the Yugoslav Wars in the 1990s many ethnic Macedonians and Albanians from the newly independent Republic of Macedonia left for Britain as refugees. The 2001 UK Census recorded 1,285 people born in Macedonia. The 2011 UK Census recorded 2,882 Macedonian-born residents in England, 32 in Wales, 56 in Scotland, and 13 in Northern Ireland.
Within the United Kingdom many ethnic Macedonian based organisations have been founded. Most notable is the "Association of Macedonians in the United Kingdom" (Macedonian: Асоцијација на Македонци во Обинето Кралство, Asociasija na Makedoncite vo Obinetoto Kralstvo). This group has been key in organising events amongst the ethnic Macedonian community in Britain. They have also contributed to the consecration of the Macedonian Orthodox Church in London along with the Embassy of the Republic of Macedonia in London.
The most prominent Cultural and Artistic society within the ethnic Macedonians community in the United Kingdom is the ethnic Macedonian Cultural and Artistic Association "Sonce". It was founded in London on the 17th of November 2003.
Macedonian Orthodox Church
In the United Kingdom there is one operating Macedonian Orthodox Church. The Macedonian Orthodox Church “ St. Archangel Michael & All Angels”, was founded by immigrants from the Republic of Macedonia. Calls for the consecration of the church by ethnic Macedonians in Britain were realised when the community consecrated the church. There have been plans to construct a Cultural Centre on the site of the Church.
- Nasevski, Boško; Angelova, Dora. Gerovska, Dragica (1995). Македонски Иселенички Алманах '95. Skopje: Матица на Иселениците на Македонија. pp. 60–61.
- "Country-of-birth database". Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Retrieved 2008-11-03.
- "Table QS213EW: 2011 Census: Country of birth (expanded), regions in England and Wales". Office for National Statistics. 26 March 2013. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "Country of birth (detailed)" (PDF). National Records of Scotland. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "Country of Birth – Full Detail: QS206NI". Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- Associjacija na Makedonci vo Obedinetoto Kralstvo (MAK UK)
- MKUD Sonce
- Macedonian Church