|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
Founded in 1999 by media artists Michael Mastrototaro and Sabine Maier in Vienna, Austria, they work in different fields: Netart, short and experimental films, streaming projects, interactive installations, and art in public space. Projects, exhibitions and screenings have been held in Africa, Europe, Central America and the United States of America.
Examples of their work include The Game 1 (2002), a comparative experiment about the social behavior of individuals as a function of the medial context. The comparison took place between the real and the virtual world: participants had the possibility of playing with two women, like they were puppets.
They thought they were safe as art recipients (-consumers), in reality they were objects of investigation (and also victims of their own desires and emotions). Lack of scientific accuracy created liberty- there was no claim on extensive explanatory power. A game abides a game / is not a game?
Art Fairs (Selection)
- Art Brussels, Brussels, Belgien (2014)
- Paris Photo, Paris, France (2013)
- Viennafair, Vienna, Austria (2012)
- FOTOFEVER, Brussels, Belgien (2012)
- Viennafair, Vienna, Austria (2012)
MACHFELD is represented by Galerie Raum mit Licht, Vienna, Austria
Media Art Festivals (Selection)
- LA Freewaves, 10th festival of new media arts: Too Much Freedom?, Los Angeles, USA (2006)
- VDANCE, International Video Dance Festival, Tel Aviv, Israel (2006)
- Lausanne Time Film Festival 2006, Lausanne, Switzerland (2006)
- VIPER, 25th international Film, Video & New Media Festival, Basel, Switzerland (2006)
- Pixel Dance, Video Art Festival, Thessaloniki, Greece (2006)
- bac 05 ! international festival of contemporary art / Barcelona (2005)
- 11th international Media Art Biennale Wroclaw, Polen (2005)
- Framemakers, Choreography as an Aesthetics of Change, Limerick, Ireland (2005)
- 6th international ART + COMMUNICATION Festival, Riga, Latvia (2003)
- Museum of the Word Ocean, Kaliningrad / Russia (04/06)
- Whitechapel Art Gallery, The Wormhole Saloon, London / UK (11/05)
- Potenz, die weibliche, OHO. Oberwart (10/05)
- kurzfilmfestival kaiserstrasse, www.wolke7.at
- PROLOGUE, Cornerhouse - Manchester UK, www.cornerhouse.org
- OASE Festival, 09/05, Vienna, AT
- FRAMEMAKERS, Limeric / Ireland, www.daghdha.ie
- “coming out”, Künstlerhaus Klagenfurt, www.kunstvereinkaernten.at
- NEXT FESTIVAL, Cinema "Lietuva" – Vilnius / Litauen, www.nextfestival.net
- Independent Arts Festival, Academy of Fine Arts / Sint-Niklaas - Belgien, www.sztuka-fabryka.be/festival
- Diagonale 05, Festival des österreichischen Films, Graz- Austria, www.diagonale.at
- Galeria Medium, Bratislava & Tanzquartier Wien, www.abp.sk, www.tqw.at
- Kino Cafe / Bratislava, 19.10.2004, Bratislava / SK
- "V-SL, Lecture about Second Life", University of California, Santa Barbara, (Santa Barbara / USA). 2008
- "Artist Talk, Visual Art Department", University of Western Ontario, (London / CA). 2007
- "An evening with Machfeld", Artist Talk, Tom Thomson Art Gallery (Owen Sound/ CA). 2007
- "About people in Second Life", Lecture about personal behavior in Second Life by Michael Mastrototaro (Schloss Wolkersdrof/ A). 2007
- "X-Com", Public Lecture at the Cityvarsity Johannesburg /ZA. 2007
- "Förderungspreis", for Video- and Media Art from the Austrian Government. 2008
- "GATE III", nomination for the best experimental-video. International Filmfestival, Dahlonega/Atlanta, USA.
- "Schreiben zwischen den Kulturen 2002", Best Lyric, Edition Exil, Vienna / A.
- "Kupele Central", Jury- & Public-Award, Wolke 7, Vienna / A. 2005
- Monograph, MACHFELD, Sabine Maier | Michael Mastrototaro, conceptual media art, German/English, 248 p. DVD included, ISBN 978-3-213-00086-9, Edition Marlit, Hora Verlag, 2010
- Cyber-Novel, by Michael Mastrototaro 1999.
http://www.machfeld.net/machfeld (German version only)
- http://www.machfeld.net (Official Site of MACHFELD)