|Group:||Group IV ((+)ssRNA)|
|Maize chlorotic mottle virus
Machlomovirus is a genus of plant viruses, in the family Tombusviridae. Plants serve as natural hosts. There is currently only one species in this genus: the type species Maize chlorotic mottle virus (MCMV), which causes significant losses in maize production worldwide. MCMV was first identified in the U.S. state of Kansas causing corn lethal necrosis, a severe disease that negatively affects all stages of development for maize plants.
|Genus||Structure||Symmetry||Capsid||Genomic arrangement||Genomic segmentation|
Viral replication is cytoplasmic. Entry into the host cell is achieved by penetration into the host cell. Replication follows the positive stranded RNA virus replication model. Positive stranded RNA virus transcription, using the premature termination model of subgenomic RNA transcription is the method of transcription. Translation takes place by leaky scanning, and suppression of termination. The virus exits the host cell by tubule-guided viral movement. Plants serve as the natural host. Transmission routes are mechanical, seed borne, and contact.
|Genus||Host details||Tissue tropism||Entry details||Release details||Replication site||Assembly site||Transmission|
|Machlomovirus||Plants||None||Viral movement; mechanical inoculation||Viral movement||Cytoplasm||Cytoplasm||Mechanical: contact; seed|
- "Viral Zone". ExPASy. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- ICTV. "Virus Taxonomy: 2014 Release". Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- Wu, J. X.; Wang, Q; Liu, H; Qian, Y. J.; Xie, Y; Zhou, X. P. (2013). "Monoclonal antibody-based serological methods for maize chlorotic mottle virus detection in China". Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE B. 14 (7): 555–62. PMC . PMID 23825140. doi:10.1631/jzus.B1200275.
- Niblett, C. L.; Claflin, L. E. (1978). "Corn lethal necrosis - a new virus disease of corn in Kansas". Plant Disease Reporter. 62 (1): 15–19.
- Nutter, R. C.; Scheets, K; Panganiban, L. C.; Lommel, S. A. (1989). "The complete nucleotide sequence of the maize chlorotic mottle virus genome". Nucleic Acids Research. 17 (8): 3163–77. PMC . PMID 2726455. doi:10.1093/nar/17.8.3163.