Machoi Peak, as seen on an overcast day, in 2013.
|Elevation||5,458 m (17,907 ft)|
|First ascent||10 September 1984
Indian army Team
|Easiest route||Right side of Amarnath cave|
Machoi Peak is a mountain with a peak elevation of 17,907 ft (5,458 metres), in Ganderbal district of Jammu and Kashmir, in the vicinity of Sonamarg. Machoi Peak is part of the Himalaya Range, and is located between Amarnath cave and Zojila. It lies 105 km north east from Srinagar, 25 km from Sonamarg in the east. It rises from the glacier of its name Machoi Glacier is the source of Nallah Sindh. in the vicinity of Kashmir valley.
Machoi Peak rises from the Machoi glacier is a pyramid-shaped peak with ice falls and ice fields at its bottom and ridges.
Climbing history and routes
The easiest route to climb Mechoi Peak is from the right side of Amarnath cave which leads to its west face, starts from Baltal a 20 kilometers high altitude alpine tract leads to the foothills of the peak. From the north side it is steep and one has to cross the whole Machoi glacier with ridges and falling ice. The east face of the peak is more difficult due to the remoteness of the area which starts from Matayan Drass.
- "Elevation of Machoi peak". .com. Archived from the original Check
|url=value (help) on 2011-10-20. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- "Geography of Kashmir". kousa.org. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- "Mechoi serveyed" (PDF). Alpine Journal. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- "Saltoro hills range". himalayaclub.org. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- "Machoi glacier". seebeforeyoudie.net. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- pdf/e/list/green. pdf "Mechoi" Check
|url=value (help) (PDF). Alpine Journal. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Machoi Peak.|