Mack B series
|Mack B Model|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||Truck (bonneted cab)|
|Engine||Thermodyne 707 (11.6L) inline 6 or 255hp V8|
|Transmission||Mack duplex (5x2), triplex (5x3) or quadruplex (5x4) manual transmissions|
The Mack B Model was a heavy truck produced by Mack Trucks between 1953 and 1966. It is perhaps the best known classic Mack truck and many still survive to this day in both restored and unrestored conditions. Some owners still use them daily for both business and leisure. They were available as fire trucks, school buses and in a variety of truck configurations. The B model was replaced by the R Model.
Model numbers & letters
- B1x -
- B2x -
- B3x -
- B4x -
- B5x -
- B6x -
- B7x -
- B8x -
Chassis letter guide:
- B - school bus chassis
- C - flat face cowl for the addition of a delivery body
- E - built for export
- F - fire truck chassis
- L - light weight or weight reduced by using aluminum components
- P - platform chassis (single axle straight truck)
- R - right hand drive. This designation was started in 1964 but right hand drive available
- S - six wheel chassis (tandem axle)
- T - tractor chassis
- X - severe or extreme service chassis
The B Model offered 10 different gasoline engines, from a 291 cu in (4.8 L) with 107 hp (80 kW) in the B20 to a 707 cu in (11.6 L) with 232 hp (173 kW) in the B70.
A wide range of diesels were also offered. From the B61 up to the ENDT 673 turbocharged I6 and END 864 V8 were offered. From the B73 up to the Cummins 855 cu in (14.0 L) I6s up to the NTC335 were available.
The table shows the largest gasoline and diesel engines in the series.
|B20||EN291||291 cu in (4.8 L)||G I6||107 hp (80 kW)@2800||232 lbf·ft (315 N·m)@1400|
|B30||EN331||331 cu in (5.4 L)||G I6||122 hp (91 kW)@2800||264 lbf·ft (358 N·m)@1400|
|B4X||EN414||413 cu in (6.8 L)||G V8||214 hp (160 kW)@4000|
|END673||672 cu in (11.0 L)||D I6|
|B6X||EN540||540 cu in (8.8 L)||G I6||185 hp (138 kW)@2400||445 lbf·ft (603 N·m)@1300|
|ENDT673||672 cu in (11.0 L)||TD I6|
|END864||864 cu in (14.2 L)||D V8|
|B7X||EN707||707 cu in (11.6 L)||G I6||205 hp (153 kW)@2100||615 lbf·ft (834 N·m)@1200|
|NTC335||855 cu in (14.0 L)||TD I6||335 hp (250 kW)@2100|
(Type: G=gasoline, D=diesel, TD=turbocharged diesel)
- Corporate History: 1950-1959 - Mack Trucks.com
- Corporate History: 1960-1969 - Mack Trucks.com
- Warth, Thomas E. (1998). Mack Trucks Photo Gallery. Iconografix. pp. 151–164,164–165,167–168, 170–177, 179–185, 188, 195, 197, 204–207. ISBN 1-882256-88-3.
- Forier, Louis C., ed. (1973). Motor’s Truck & Diesel Repair Manual (26 ed.). Motor. pp. 1003–1004, 1107–1109, 1250. ISBN 0-910992-16-9.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mack B-Series.|
- Antique Mack truck forum
- Site specializing in B model information
|This truck-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|