November 3, 1980 |
Miami, Florida, United States
|Other names||Mack Da Menace|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10.4 st)|
|Reach||72 in (180 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States|
Pride Training Center
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Mackens Semerzier (born November 3, 1980) is an American retired professional mixed martial artist who last competed in the Featherweight division. A professional competitor from 2008 until 2012, he competed for the UFC and WEC.
In 1999 Mackens placed 6th in the 6A Florida High School Wrestling tournament and was a Disney Duals AAU Wrestling National runner up. At the age of 19, Semerzier signed on to the U.S. Marines. While enrolled, he would begin training a lot of boxing. A little later, through a Marine Corps Martial Arts program, he learned other elements of the MMA game, which he would supplement with training at civilian gyms, most notably Linxx Academy in Virginia Beach, where he still trains and coaches.
Mixed martial arts career
Semerzier made his pro debut against Ryan Lamareaux on a local North Carolina MMA card. Semerzier won the bout in the third round after locking up a rear naked choke submission. Only a little over a month after his pro debut, Semerzier had his second fight, again winning via rear naked choke submission.
He won two more fights, finishing both opponents, before signing with the World Extreme Cagefighting in 2009.
World Extreme Cagefighting
Semerzier made his debut for the promotion at WEC 43 stunning the former IFL Featherweight Champion, Wagnney Fabiano. Semerzier submitted the Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace in the first round via triangle choke. He earned himself Submission of the Night, and also was awarded "Sherdog's 2009 Upset of the Year".
Semerzier was scheduled to face Anthony Morrison on April 24, 2010 at WEC 48, but Semerzier was forced from the card with an injury. Instead of fighting Morrison, he fought Javier Vazquez. Semerzier was defeated via second round submission on August 18, 2010 at WEC 50.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Semerzier's first fight in the UFC was against UFC newcomer, and The Ultimate Fighter 12 competitor, Alex Caceres, at UFC Fight Night 24. He won the fight via rear naked choke submission early in the first round.
Semerzier faced Robbie Peralta on November 12, 2011 at UFC on Fox 1. Semerzier officially lost via TKO in the third round, but replays showed that a collision of heads started the stoppage. The fight was later ruled a no contest by the California State Athletic Commission.
A rematch with Peralta was expected to take place on March 3, 2012 at UFC on FX 2. However, Peralta was forced out of the bout with a toe injury and replaced by Daniel Pineda. Pineda defeated Semezier via first round submission.
After losing to Pineda, Semerzier was released from the promotion.
Semerzier made his return to the cage on August 18, 2012 at XFO 45, defeating Guillermo Serment by submission due to a d'arce choke sixty two seconds into the fight.
He then went to on to face Gilbert Jimenez a few months later on November 17, 2012. He defeated Jimenez via submission in the second round. He has not competed since this.
Championships and accomplishments
- World Extreme Cagefighting
- Submission of the Night (One time)
- Fight of the Night (One time)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|13 matches||8 wins||4 losses|
|Win||8–4 (1)||Gilbert Jimenez||Submission (guillotine choke)||Combat Sports Challenge 34||November 17, 2012||2||1:52||Richmond, Virginia, United States|
|Win||7–4 (1)||Guillermo Serment||Submission (d'arce choke)||XFO 45: Outdoor War 8||August 18, 2012||1||1:02||Island Lake, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||6–4 (1)||Daniel Pineda||Submission (triangle armbar)||UFC on FX: Alves vs. Kampmann||March 3, 2012||1||2:05||Sydney, Australia|
|NC||6–3 (1)||Robbie Peralta||NC (accidental headbutt)||UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos||November 12, 2011||3||1:54||Anaheim, California, United States||Overturned; originally loss by TKO.|
|Win||6–3||Alex Caceres||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Davis||March 26, 2011||1||3:18||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Loss||5–3||Cub Swanson||Decision (split)||WEC 52||November 11, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||5–2||Javier Vazquez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||WEC 50||August 18, 2010||2||1:35||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||5–1||Deividas Taurosevičius||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 46||January 10, 2010||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||5–0||Wagnney Fabiano||Submission (triangle choke)||WEC 43||October 10, 2009||1||2:14||San Antonio, Texas, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||4–0||Kenny Foster||Submission (triangle choke)||Elite Fighting Challenge 4||June 27, 2009||1||1:03||Norfolk, Virginia, United States|
|Win||3–0||Jason Hilliker||TKO (punches)||Cagefest Xtreme: All In||April 25, 2009||1||2:01||Norfolk, Virginia, United States|
|Win||2–0||Justin Hickey||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Cagefest Xtreme: Evolution||November 15, 2008||1||4:52||Norfolk, Virginia, United States|
|Win||1–0||Ryan Lamareaux||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Vengeance Fighting Championship 1||September 27, 2008||3||3:04||Concord, North Carolina, United States|
- nwi.com (2009-10-13). "Mackens Semerzier on His MMA Upset of the Year: 'I Fully Expected to Win'". FanHouse. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- nwi.com (2009-09-29). "Torres-trained Semerzier steps up, will make WEC debut". nwi.com. Retrieved 2009-09-29.
- "WEC 46: Varner vs. Henderson results". wec.tv/index.cfm. 2010-01-11.
- ""Mack" and "Cheese" official for "WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber" prelims in April". mmajunkie.com. 2010-03-24. Archived from the original on 2012-07-11.
- "Mackens Semerzier off WEC 48 card due to injury, replacement search underway". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-10. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "Javier Vazquez vs. Mackens Semerzier added to WEC 50 prelims". mmajunkie.com. 2010-06-24. Archived from the original on 2010-06-27.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010. Archived from the original on May 25, 2012.
- ""Bruce Leroy" vs. Mackens Semerzier in the works for UFC Fight Night 24". mmajunkie.com. December 30, 2010. Archived from the original on October 23, 2012.
- "Yuri Alcântara vs. Mackens Semerzier set for UFC Rio". tatame.com. April 25, 2011. Archived from the original on April 29, 2011.
- "Manager: Mackens Semerizer's summer plans not set, no UFC 134 fight for now". mmajunkie.com. April 25, 2011.
- "M'Pato' Carvalho Joins UFC, Faces Alcantara in Rio". sherdog.com. June 15, 2011.
- "Mackens Semerzier vs. Mike Lullo Joins UFC Fight Night 25 Lineup". mmafrenzy.com. July 15, 2011.
- "Mackens Semerzier scratched from UFC Fight Night 25". mmajunkie.com. August 31, 2011. Archived from the original on September 23, 2011.
- "Robert Peralta vs Mike Lullo booked for 'Battle on the Bayou' on Sept. 17". mmamania.com. September 5, 2011.
- "Peralta vs. Semerzier added to UFC on FOX 1". mmajunkie.com. October 4, 2011. Archived from the original on October 6, 2011.
- "CSAC changes UFC on FOX 1's Peralta vs. Semerzier result to no contest". mmajunkie.com. December 13, 2011. Archived from the original on January 8, 2012.
- "UFC on FX 2 gets Peralta vs. Semerzier rematch". mmajunkie.com. January 5, 2012. Archived from the original on January 9, 2012.
- "UFC on FX 2: Daniel Pineda replaces Robert Peralta, meets Mackens Semerzier". mmajunkie.com. February 6, 2012. Archived from the original on February 8, 2012.
- Mark Wayne (March 24, 2012). "Mackens Semerzier Released from UFC Contract". mmafrenzy.com.
- Tapology (August 18, 2012). "XFO 45: Outdoor War 8". tapology.com. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- N/A (November 17, 2012). "CSC 34 Results (Official)". mixedmartialarts.com. Retrieved September 1, 2014.