Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital
|Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital|
Wing B of the Mackenzie Health, Richmond Hill Hospital
|Location||Richmond Hill, York Region, Ontario, Canada|
|Care system||Public Medicare (Canada) (OHIP)|
|Lists||Hospitals in Canada|
Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital (formerly York Central Hospital) is a hospital in Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada and one of three in York Regional Municipality. Mackenzie Health in Richmond Hill is part of the Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) Hospital Partnerships.
Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital was founded in 1963 in Vaughan Township as York Central Hospital, close to the suburb of Richmond Hill, and incorporated into Richmond Hill following the amalgamation of the town in 1973. Funded by both local donations and public money, the hospital opened less than a half mile (800 metres) from the old commercial downtown of Richmond Hill. Since its inception, the hospital has undergone several expansions to cope with the rapid population growth of Richmond Hill, the latest of which was completed in 2009. In September 1974, it opened a 300-bed extension. In 2012, in conjunction with managing the construction of the Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital and to grow health care services in the area, the hospital was renamed Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital; both hospitals would be administered by Mackenzie Health, a new regional healthcare services provider.
In 2003, a patient at the hospital contracted Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) from a transferred patient from another hospital in Toronto, which prompted the closing of both the hospital and the adjacent Alexander Mackenzie High School.
The Hospital occupies four adjoining buildings in central Richmond Hill, with a total of five floors in each building.
- A Wing - The southernmost building contains the Centre for Continuing Care and Rehabilitation (CCCR).
- B Wing - Douglas H. Storms Memorial Wing
- C Wing - Dr. James Langstaff Memorial Wing, Main hospital entrance
- D Wing - The newest building is the Town of Richmond Hill Wing. This building contains the Emergency Room, the ICU and the Main Dialysis unit.
The Vaughan Satellite Dialysis Unit of Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital's Regional Dialysis Program is located at 9401 Jane Street. Patients referred to this unit must be medically able to receive dialysis away from the hospital and find this location more convenient. The unit consists of 33-station renal dialysis units, including a nephrology out-patient clinic.
- Ambulatory Care Services
- Continuing Care Program
- Diagnostic Imaging
- District Stroke Centre
- Emergency Medicine Program
- Laboratory Medicine
- Long Term Care
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Medicine Program
- Mental Health Program
- Rehabilitation Services
- Surgery Program
- Woman and Child Program
- York Region Dialysis Program
- "Ribbon cutting at Hillcrest Mall". The Liberal. 98 (7). 14 August 1974. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- "Rebranding essential for future of health care in York". Mackenzie Health. Archived from the original on May 12, 2014. Retrieved 23 August 2012.