Macquarie Fields railway station
Southbound view from Platform 1 in November 2011
|Location||Railway Parade, Macquarie Fields|
|Operated by||Sydney Trains|
|Distance||43.80 kilometres from Central|
|Opened||3 October 1888|
Macquarie Fields railway station is located on the Main South line, serving the Sydney suburb of Macquarie Fields. It is served by Sydney Trains T2 Airport, T2 Inner West & South and T5 Cumberland lines.
Macquarie Fields station opened on 3 October 1888.
An additional track was opened to the west of the station in 1995 as part of the Glenfield - Ingleburn passing loop. This unelectrified track was used by freight and long distance passenger trains. In December 2012, the track was incorporated into the Southern Sydney Freight Line and became freight only.
It has been reported that a ghost of a teenage girl haunts the station, where screaming is often heard at night after train services have stopped. In July 1906, a woman named Emily Gengeson was reportedly ran over and killed by a train.
From the second half of 2017, Macquarie Fields railway station will be served exclusively by the Airport and East Hills line, meaning commuters will have to change at Glenfield to travel to either the city via Granville or to Blacktown via the Cumberland Line.
Platforms & services
|1||services to Central & the City Circle via Granville
services to Central & the City Circle via Revesby
|services to Blacktown & Schofields|||
|2||services to Campbelltown & Macarthur|||
|services to Campbelltown|||
Interline Bus Services operates one route to and from Macquarie Fields station:
- Macquarie Fields Station NSWrail.net
- "The Glenfield - Ingleburn Passing Loop Project" Railway Digest August 1994 pages 18-19
- ‘Teenage ghost girl’ haunts commuters at Macquarie Fields railway station (News.com.au)
- Barr, Eliza (27 February 2017). "Southwest Sydney train service to increase with new peak hour trains and north-south connection from Leppington to Parramatta and Blacktown". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- O'Sullivan, Matt (27 February 2017). "Decision on rail link to new Sydney airport 'many years off', Transport Minister Andrew Constance says". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- "T2: Airport line timetable" (PDF). Sydney Trains. 20 October 2013 [amended January 2015].
- "T2: Inner West & South line timetable" (PDF). Sydney Trains. 13 December 2015.
- "T5: Cumberland line timetable" (PDF). Sydney Trains. 20 October 2013 [amended January 2015].
- "Route 876 Timetable" (PDF). Interline Bus Service. 8 February 2015.