Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2014.1 running on OS X Yosemite
|Developer(s)||Adobe Inc. (2005–present)|
Macromedia (before 2005)
|Initial release||December 1997|
2020 (20.1) / February 2020
|Operating system||Windows 10 version 1703 and above, macOS 10.12 Sierra and above|
|Type||HTML editor, programming tool, integrated development environment (IDE)|
|License||Trialware software as a service|
Adobe Dreamweaver CC is a web design and an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) application that is used to develop and design websites. Dreamweaver includes a code editor that supports syntax highlighting, code completion, real-time syntax checking, and code introspection for generating code hints to assist the user in writing code.
Since version 5, Dreamweaver supports syntax highlighting for the following languages:
- Active Server Pages (ASP).
- Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
- Extensible HyperText Markup Language (XHTML)
- Extensible Markup Language (XML)
- Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations (XSLT)
- HyperText Markup Language (HTML)
- Visual Basic (VB)
- Visual Basic Script Edition (VBScript)
- Wireless Markup Language (WML)
Users can add their language syntax highlighting. code completion is available for many of these languages.
Internationalization and Localization
Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 is available in the following languages: Brazilian Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Czech, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean (Windows only), Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish.
Specific features for Arabic and Hebrew languages
The older Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 also features a Middle Eastern version that allows typing Arabic, Persian, Urdu, or Hebrew text (written from right to left) within the code view. Whether the text is fully Middle Eastern (written from right to left) or includes both English and Middle Eastern text (written left to right and right to left), it will be displayed properly.
|Legend:||Old version, not maintained||Older version, still maintained||Current stable version||Latest preview version||Future release|
|Developer||Major version||Minor update||Release date||Notes|
|Macromedia||Old version, no longer maintained: 1.0||1.0||Dec 1997||First version. Mac OS only.|
|1.2||Mar 1998||First Windows version|
|Old version, no longer maintained: 2.0||2.0||Dec 1998|
|Old version, no longer maintained: 3.0||3.0||Dec 1999|
|UltraDev 1.0||June 2000|
|Old version, no longer maintained: 4.0||4.0||Dec 2000|
|UltraDev 4.0||Dec 2000|
|Old version, no longer maintained: 6.0||MX||29 May 2002|
|Old version, no longer maintained: 7.0||MX 2004||10 Sep 2003|
|Old version, no longer maintained: 8.0||8.0||13 Sep 2005||Last Macromedia version. Included with Adobe CS2.3.|
|Adobe Systems||Old version, no longer maintained: 9.0||CS3||16 Apr 2007||Replaces Adobe GoLive in Adobe Creative Suite|
|Old version, no longer maintained: 10.0||CS4||23 Sep 2008|
|Old version, no longer maintained: 11.0||CS5||12 Apr 2010|
|Old version, no longer maintained: 11.5||CS5.5||12 Apr 2011||Supports HTML5.|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 12.0||CS6||21 Apr 2012||A perpetual license (download without ongoing payments) version and a cloud (subscription) version exist with differing menu structure.|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 13.0||Creative Cloud||17 June 2013||The perpetual license option is dropped in this version.|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 14.0||CC 2014||18 June 2014||DOM visualization tool, Live View upgrades, CSS Designer upgrades.|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 15.0||CC 2014.1||6 Oct 2014||Ability to view and extract design info and images from Photoshop documents (PSDs), new templates, Live View upgrades, and 64-bit architecture.|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 16.0||CC 2015||16 June 2015||Responsive design capabilities with visual media query bars, direct integration with the Bootstrap framework, ability to preview and inspect content on mobile devices, and improvements to the code editor.|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 17.0||CC 2017||2 Nov 2016||Adobe release notes - Redesigned code editor, e-processor support, real-time preview in browser, quick editing of related code files, changes to UI|
|Older version, yet still maintained: 18.0||CC 2018||19 Oct 2017||Adobe release notes - URL Test Button, Save Credentials, Search Bar support, Conflict icon is now displayed|
|Current stable version: 20.0||CC 2020||4 Nov 2019||Adobe release notes - Seamless Live View editing, Japanese default font, Code hinting improvements|
- "Dreamweaver system requirements".. Retrieved on 2013-07-21.
- "Adobe Completes Acquisition of Macromedia" (PDF). Press Releases. Adobe, Inc. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 November 2011. Retrieved 15 November 2011.
- "Learn to build dynamic websites and web applications". Dreamweaver Developer Center. Retrieved 15 November 2011.
- "Adobe Dreamweaver CS5: System Requirements and languages". Adobe Systems Incorporated. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "New Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional Enhances Adobe Creative Suite 2.3". Adobe Systems. 18 September 2006. Archived from the original on 23 March 2007. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
Adobe Creative Suite 2.3 Premium also bundles Dreamweaver® 8
- Adobe's Subscription-Only CC Release Carries Obvious Upside But Big Risk | Forbes
- Adobe exec: Creative Cloud complainers will love us once they try us (interview), VentureBeat
- Adobe's Move to the Cloud Incites Anger and Other Top Comments, Mashable
- Adobe Creative Cloud: Reactions, responses and reassurance | Macworld UK
- Neil Bennett (15 May 2013) Analysis: The real reason Adobe ditched Creative Suite for Creative Cloud, Retrieved on 2013-07-21, www.digitalartsonline.co.uk
- Adobe’s Creative Cloud Sparks Thunderous Revolt Archived 2017-01-06 at the Wayback Machine, 25 May 2013, truth-out.org
- Some Artists Give Adobe's Cloud Switch a Critical Review Archived June 16, 2013, at Archive.today, Fox Business
- "Adobe Unveils Milestone 2015 Creative Cloud Release", News Release, Adobe Systems, 16 June 2015.
- "New features summary: Adobe Dreamweaver CC (2015 release)", Dreamweaver Help, Adobe Systems.
|Wikiversity has learning resources about Adobe Dreamweaver|