Macrophilia is a fascination with or a sexual fantasy involving giants, more commonly expressed as giantesses (female giants). It is typically a male fantasy, with the male playing the "smaller" part—entering, being dominated, or being eaten by the larger woman. Others involve partners who naturally have a significant difference in size.
Although macrophilia literally translates to simply a "lover of large," in the context of a sexual fantasy, it is used to mean someone who is attracted to beings larger than themselves. Generally, the interest differs between people, and depends on gender and sexual orientation. They often enjoy feeling small and being abused, degraded, dominated, or eaten, and they may also view female giants as being powerful and dominating.
Commenting on why there are not as many female macrophiles, psychologist Helen Friedman theorized that because women in most societies already view men as dominant and powerful, there is no need for them to fantasize about it. Women that take on the roles of the giantess within this fetish often find the practice to be empowering and enjoy being worshipped.
The internet has played an important role in helping to develop the fetish. The pornography site Pornhub's 2015 annual report showed that compared to 2014, the biggest increasing of sex tape was giantess, which had a 1091 percent gain in searches. There also existed an exhibit at the Museum of Sex titled "Kink: Geography of the Erotic Imagination" which explored many different fantasies, including macrophilia.
Online content creators have also developed homemade media that has helped grow the fetish's reach. In addition to generating content across websites, some content creators have even branded themselves in ways that helped them generate a following and gain revenue for their work. After data was gathered from 4,814,732 videos on clips4sale, an established porn site, it was found that "giantess" was the 34th most popular category.
The macro community has produced fiction writing, digital art, and collages on websites such as DeviantArt and Pixiv. Dedicated macrophilia websites include Giantess World and the Giantess City forums. Karbo, Eskoz, and AshkiiWolf are among the more popular artists. Macrophilia video games have also been developed; Sizebox is a sandbox game in which players import models and create scenes. Shrink High (Japanese: 縮小学園, Syukusho Gakuen) is an RPG Maker title in which the player shrinks in a high school. Resize Me! is an anime VR game in development; the player is gradually shrunken by their childhood friend and toyed with.
Real world experience
One way macrophiles enjoy their fetish physically is by scheduling private sessions with extraordinarily tall women to engage in non-sexual interactions; trampling, lifting and carrying, foot worshiping, roleplaying and domination. SizeCon, an annual adult convention held in New York City for macrophiles and microphiles, is one outlet. Events include guest panels, exhibitions, workshops, and gaming..
- Bowen, Jon (May 22, 1999). "Urge: A Giant Fetish". Salon.com. Associated Press. Archived from the original on October 4, 2015. Retrieved February 19, 2011.
- Weisman, Carrie (November 6, 2014). "Inside The World Of 'Macrophilia,' the Sexual Fetish That Celebrates Everything Big". AlterNet. Retrieved October 2, 2015.
- "Big Love". Psychology Today. Retrieved 2017-10-18.
- Ceilán, Cynthia (2008). Weirdly Beloved: Tales of Strange Bedfellows, Odd Couplings, and Love Gone Bad. Globe Pequot. pp. 88–90. ISBN 1-59921-403-2.
- Wilfred D. DeVoe (1997), Addresses of GTS & Tall Woman sites, alt.sex.fetish.size
- Katharine Gates (1999), Deviant Desires: Incredibly Strange Sex,
INTERNET SEARCH KEYWORDS: GTS, macro, giantess, crush, trample. WHAT IT IS: A sexual fantasy of being tiny and at the mercy of a gigantic human.
- Dominique Mainon; James Ursini (2006), Modern Amazons: Warrior Women on Screen,
Technically the erotic obsession with such large women is labeled "macrophilia," but it is more commonly referred to as simply "GTS," short for giantess.
- O'Neill, Natalie (October 2, 2008). "Amazonia: Big Girls, Little Guys, Lots of Fun". New Times Broward-Palm Beach. The Village Voice. Retrieved February 17, 2011.
- Mahler, Kristina (June 25, 2010). "Chatting with a Giantess". Vice. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Monk, Felicity (2016-10-26). "The Men Who Want to Have Sex with Actual Giants". Vice. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Lehmiller, Justin (January 19, 2016). "GIANTESS WOMEN ARE THE NEW BIG THING IN PORN". Playboy. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
- Saknussemm, Kris (May 25, 2009). "My Ten Favorite Fetishes". Nerve. Retrieved March 8, 2011.
- Walker, Steve (March 31, 2007). "Kinks Galore, for All to See". Camp. Archived from the original on July 8, 2011. Retrieved March 8, 2011.
- "Gay Macrophilia: A Sexual Fantasy of Great Proportions | Contemporary Queer". Contemporary Queer. 2015-06-29. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Interview with Microphile Erotic Artist Drevon the Colossus | Contemporary Queer". Contemporary Queer. 2015-07-13. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- Robbins, Martin (2015-04-30). "Porn data: visualising fetish space". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-10-19.
- "Everything you need to know about giantess vore — and why it's so big". Retrieved 2020-05-22.
- "Shrink High Review". Retrieved 2020-05-22.
- "What is giantess porn, and why is it so popular?". Retrieved 2020-05-22.
- "SizeCon 2020". Retrieved 2020-05-22.
- Mills, David (December 11, 1993). "The Lady Is A Trampler; '50 Ft. Woman' Fans Crave That Touch of Style". The Washington Post. The Washington Post Company. p. C1. ISSN 0190-8286.
- "Dwarves and Giants". Encyclopedia of Sex and Gender: Culture Society History. Macmillan Reference USA. 2007. ISBN 9780028661155. OCLC 141187849.