Omaha Nation Public School in Macy
Location of Macy, Nebraska
|• Total||1.6 sq mi (4.2 km2)|
|• Land||1.6 sq mi (4.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,115 ft (340 m)|
|• Density||594.7/sq mi (229.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0830989|
Macy is the birthplace of the Native American actor Rodney A. Grant.
Macy is located at (42.113257, -96.359085).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 1.6 square miles (4.1 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 956 people, 210 households, and 182 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 594.7 people per square mile (229.3/km²). There were 218 housing units at an average density of 135.6/sq mi (52.3/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 2.30% White, 96.44% Native American, 0.10% Asian, 0.21% from other races, and 0.94% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.78% of the population.
There were 210 households out of which 54.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 30.0% were married couples living together, 49.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 12.9% were non-families. 11.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.45 and the average family size was 4.79.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 49.4% under the age of 18, 10.3% from 18 to 24, 22.6% from 25 to 44, 11.0% from 45 to 64, and 6.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 18 years. For every 100 females there were 87.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.0 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $19,500, and the median income for a family was $19,417. Males had a median income of $19,688 versus $20,625 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $5,640. About 46.2% of families and 49.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 51.1% of those under age 18 and 50.0% of those age 65 or over.
- Rodney A. Grant, actor
- Tuffy Griffiths, boxer
- Susan La Flesche Picotte, first Native American woman physician
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Thurston County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- Fitzpatrick, Lillian L. (1960). Nebraska Place-Names. University of Nebraska Press. p. 140. ISBN 0-8032-5060-6. A 1925 edition is available for download at University of Nebraska—Lincoln Digital Commons.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Tuffy Griffiths at BoxRec