Mad About You (Belinda Carlisle song)
|"Mad About You"|
|Single by Belinda Carlisle|
|from the album Belinda|
|B-side||"I Never Wanted a Rich Man"|
|Released||5 May 1986|
|Belinda Carlisle singles chronology|
"Mad About You" is a song written by Paula Jean Brown, James Whelan and Mitchel Young Evans, produced by Michael Lloyd, for Belinda Carlisle's debut solo album Belinda. It was released as the album's first single, in 1986, as a CD single (one of the first ever marketed), 7" single and a 12" single. It was her first hit after leaving the Go-Go's, peaking at number three on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 (where it was present for twenty-one weeks) and at number one on the Canadian Singles Chart.
Just over three weeks before the single was released, Carlisle married Morgan Mason, who appears with Belinda in the video for "Mad About You". The guitar solo on the song was performed by Andy Taylor (of Duran Duran), who also appears in the video.
Paula Jean Brown (who joined the Go-Go’s as bass guitarist following Jane Wiedlin’s departure) co-wrote the song with Jim Whelan, and Wiedlin and Charlotte Caffey sang back-up vocals. "Mad About You" was one of a few songs being considered for the fourth (unrecorded) Go-Go's album. The Go-Go's split, and "Mad About You" and two other songs co-written by Paula Jean Brown ended up on Belinda.
The single's B-side, "I Never Wanted a Rich Man", was also featured on Carlisle's first long playing work (it closed Side 1 on the vinyl edition). The extended version of "Mad About You", originally on the A-side of the 12" single, was then included on the album compact disc re-release by Virgin in 2003.
The song is written in the key of A major in common time with a tempo of 144 beats per minute. Part of the appeal of the song's chorus lies in the rapid-fire kick drum double stroke pattern on every bar, performed using either a single or double bass pedal.
The music video was directed by Leslie Libman, and features Andy Taylor of Duran Duran, and Carlisle's husband Morgan Mason. During one scene she dances to a vinyl LP of Yma Sumac's Mambo!. The outdoor scenes are largely set in or near Palisades Park in Santa Monica, California.
- 7" single
- "Mad About You" (single mix) — 3:30
- "I Never Wanted a Rich Man" — 4:12
- 12" single
- "Mad About You" (extended mix) — 5:03
- "Mad About You" (single mix) — 3:30
- "Mad About You" (instrumental mix) — 3:30
Sales and certifications
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||50,000^|
- "Mad About You by Belinda Carlisle @ Song Key Finder". www.songkeyfinder.com. Retrieved May 4, 2016.
- "BPM for 'mad about you' by belinda carlisle | songbpm.com". songbpm.com. Retrieved May 4, 2016.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 55. ISBN 0-646-11917-6. N.B. The Kent Report chart was licensed by ARIA from mid-1983 until June 12, 1988.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 0722." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Mad About You". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- "Charts.nz – Belinda Carlisle – Mad About You". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved April 16, 2020.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Belinda Carlisle Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Belinda Carlisle Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.
- "Kent Music Report No 650 – 29 December 1986 > National Top 100 Singles for 1986". Kent Music Report, via Imgur.com. Retrieved December 10, 2019.
- Nielsen Business Media, Inc (December 27, 1986). "1986 The Year in Music & Video: Top Pop Singles". Billboard. 98 (52): Y-21.
- "Canadian single certifications – Belinda Carlisle – Mad About You". Music Canada.